Losing balance at finish with driver

Losing balance at finish with driver  

By: Gene P on Jan. 3, 2023, 8:43 p.m.

Happy new year Tyler! Let me start by saying that I've been a member now for a few years, and my swing and overall golf game has improved dramatically with all of your videos and personal feedback -- I am grateful for everything that you do and for how you share your wisdom and experience with all of us who have never even personally met you.

I have a new question for you, but I'm honestly even afraid to ask about it because I'm worried it will lead me down a pathway that will become another long journey. I'm pretty happy with my swing right now, but there's one aspect that I've been wondering about if I want to deal with it now or not. So I could use your advice to understand it better.

Essentially the fault that I have is that I find it very hard to keep my balance all the way to my finish position when I'm trying to generate power. At the end of my driver swing, I always fall back on my trail leg and a little bit away from the original ball position. This is obviously and most commonly an issue when I hit driver, where my mentality is "hit it as far you can" vs. with irons when I'm trying to hit it to a specific yardage. Now in terms of actual results and success with the driver, I'm happy with it -- I feel like I get good distance for my build and swing speed (95-98 mph clubhead speed, 140-145 mph ball speed), and I can usually find 50% or more of the fairways. So honestly this is a little bit of a vanity thing where I'd like to know how to make the swing "look" better, and whether it's something that has an obvious fix. I've tried to fix it before, but I find that "swinging easier" or trying to force myself to stay balanced actually makes the swing slower (measurably) and leads to weak push/slices.

I'm including face-on and down-the-line videos that are more-or-less representative. Apologies for the lighting on the DTL video but hopefully it's clear enough. Anyhow let me know what you think. Thanks as always!

Re: Losing balance at finish with driver  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 4, 2023, 12:16 p.m.

Hi Gene,

Happy New Year to you too!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm humbled anytime I hear that my creative outlet has helped golfers like yourself understand and improve.

To your main question, chasing aesthetics can be a dangerous game. That said, usually, aesthetics show up for a reason, and learning how to improve them can help performance. In this case, we can start by analyzing why you might lose your balance with the driver. As you said, it might unpack a project you're not willing to take on at this point, but at the least, it'll help you understand it and mentally file it away.

Balance comes from keeping your center of mass within your base of support. Certain movements make this easier and harder. Let's tackle your movements in the two directions you lose it.

I've got two screen captures that show when you lose balance. Both of them occur when you are at end range of motion of your ankle and instead of moving into your hip, you try to continue moving your knee and ankle. So basically, you lose your balance because you do too much at the ankle and the knee and not enough at the foot and hip. This often happens when the foot is stiff or weak or when the hip muscles are tight or weak as well. That answer should lead you back to your original question, "is this something I want to take on right now?"

Happy Golfing, and Happy New Year again,

Tyler

By: Gene P on Jan. 4, 2023, 12:59 p.m.

Tyler, thanks for the reply. So are you saying this is more of a strength and/or flexibility issue rather than a swing fault? Or is there something happening earlier in the swing that is causing this tendency? I had sort of assumed that there was a chain reaction of things in the swing leading to me losing my balance. Also, if I get to the point where I want to work on this, any tips on where you would start?

By: Tyler F on Jan. 9, 2023, 1:14 p.m.

The loss of balance can be part of a chain reaction. That's why taking on a new issue can seem daunting at first. If it were me, I'd start by understanding my follow-through position better. What would it feel like to get weight over the lead foot, lead big toe down, foot arched with a little bit of torso side bend? If getting into that position was a challenge, then I'd investigate the limiting part (foot, hip, spine).
If that's going smoothly, then I'd investigate the chain causes you mentioned. Am I losing balance because of what my body is doing to support my club path, face control, or low point pattern?

So I would start with the follow-through bracing idea and then work backward from there.

By: Gene P on Jan. 9, 2023, 3:33 p.m.

Great, I appreciate the advice!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.