Where should I start

Where should I start  

By: Scott Z on May 30, 2022, 5:43 a.m.

Hello Tyler, I am a new member and am wondering where I should start working on my swing? I usually hit the ball pretty straight, with a little fade with the driver. At times though I feel like I get more of a “glancing blow “ , and am lacking compression with my irons. Could you please point me in the direction that I should start working on? BTW, your website is awesome! So much information, I am looking forward to seeing how much I can improve my swing, and trying to learn as much about golf as I can. Thanks

Re: Where should I start  

By: Tyler F on May 31, 2022, 11:04 a.m.

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the site! You started at the right place by posting your swing. You'll learn how to be your own best golf coach by learning how to analyze your video and relate the video to your stats/performance.

I'd start with impact, if you're trying to get more compression and less fade, then you'll need to get your hands a bit more ahead at impact. This involves closing the face, delaying the trail arm straightening, having more body rotation, and a couple of other minor changes. Usually we want to find one or two big items that control the others. For you, I'd start with some impact drills focusing on the motorcycle move.

Looking at your swing from DTL, you can see that your clubface is square in the takeaway, but then gets open at the top and then stays open during the downswing. You use the early release to square the face, but that takes away compression.

Here are a couple of videos to start with:
https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/why-start-motorcycle
https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/9-to-3-motorcycle

Good luck,

Tyler

By: Scott Z on June 2, 2022, 4:21 p.m.

Hello Tyler, thanks again for the reply. I really appreciate the help. One question, is it common to feel that with the longer clubs l need to start to motorcycle sooner than with shorter irons? Or in other words to me it feels like it takes more time to close the face with a driver, than it does say with my 9 iron. Do I need to consciously try to adjust for this, or will my brain just “figure” the timing out?

I also must add, I also been working in the 9-3 Motorcycle/Four Square combo drill, and the results have been outstanding. Instead of the glancing blow that I am used to I am getting solid compression contact. My ball flight is straight to a little draw. I am going to keep doing the drills so I can make it second nature. Your site is awesome for a golf nerd like myself. Learning so much already. Thanks for your help

Last edited by: Scott Z on June 5, 2022, 1:24 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on June 6, 2022, 9:46 a.m.

Hi Scott,

Yes, it's common to feel that the motorcycle is done earlier with the longer clubs. I'd hope that your brain figures it out, but you can give it a quick look on video if you're having any doubts about the timing.

That's awesome about the 4-square motorcycle combo. Face and path are so connected that often you have to train both simultaneously, but yes, when you figure out face and path you get a feeling of compression you've only experienced on nasty pulls. It's like pulling the ball, but at the target 😊

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.