Tyler’s WGFS 2018 presentation/Tommy!

Tyler’s WGFS 2018 presentation/Tommy!  

By: Scott S on May 5, 2021, 2:04 a.m.

Sorry Tyler, a little late to the party, well more so a much better understanding of various release patterns, and I’m watching your WGFS 2018 presentation for probably the 4th or 5th time. I actually listened to a podcast, as well as watched Scott Cowx’s presentation with Hackmotion and the release patterns he discusses, which illustrate what you presented here, so kudos to you and your knowledge of these more nuanced and typically “shyed” away from aspects of the golf swing.

Anyway, long and the short of it, I’m a massive Tommy Fleetwood fan (you seem to be as well), as a person/competitor, but also as it relates here, of his swing! Would his release pattern (Coach Cowx references his pattern in his presentation, but hoping to gain a little more insight) be comparable to the 2nd Elkington Pattern you illustrate in your presentation, where you present an internal shoulder Lead Shoulder at address, and a big pronation/unhinging of that lead arm in transition, followed by a big supination through impact (130 degrees)? This seems very similar to Tommy, as he has that pronounced Pronation in transition of his lead arm coupled with a bit of a float load (in my opinion) is what from my perspective gives him that dynamic body driven swing that he saws off so beautifully. I was just curious if you’d share your opinion, I may be completely off base, I’m 2 years in, and love the game, complete addict, and I’ve geeked out pretty hard on swing mechanics over the past 2 years. Sidenote, it helps that I was an Orthopedic Trauma Sales Consultant for one of the largest conglomerates in the world, so I came into golf with probably a much higher biomechanic/anatomy knowledge base than most.

In two years of golfing with the help of your site, a lot of my own research, countless hours of driving range time, applying concepts you’ve put on your website i have managed to get to a +7 index, a driver clubhead speed of 119, and I believe with some clean up, more course time over range time, it will drop, and scratch is in sight. Thank you for all of your hard work, providing this site, and a truly awesome resource. I’ve recommended your site to 2 of my playing partners, and they are both getting a ton from your site as well. Keep up the good work, I truly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Scott Schenk

Re: Tyler’s WGFS 2018 presentation/Tommy!  

By: Scott S on May 5, 2021, 2:13 a.m.

Couple of Angles of a few different 7 Irons

Re: Tyler’s WGFS 2018 presentation/Tommy!  

By: Tyler F on May 10, 2021, 9:16 a.m.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the comment. I do like to dig into the why and how of the body movements more than most. I'm glad when I hear that some golfers appreciate the depth! There are a couple things to comment on in your post. First, it's really hard to compare the supination data across Hackmotion and AMM. I think the flex/ext and hinging are much closer, but the supination graph can be wildly different on the two systems. One is measuring anatomical supination and the other global.

As far as Scott Cowx, I like his presentation and ideas. I've only done his first online program, not his more detailed one. He likes to organize things into patterns, I like to think of them more as spectrums. I don't see as clearly distinct pattern differences with AMM as he presents with Hack. It could be a system thing, or just the way of organizing the information.

I am a big fan of Tommy Fleetwood's swing. His stats are up there near the top and there's a simplicity and athleticism about his swing that I love watching. Looking at your swing, it looks like you get more of the lead arm rotation through impact with the lead shoulder compared to the forearm. That's part of what creates the slight chicken wing look in the exit. Overall, there are lots of positives with your move, but yes, I think that some more work on your release will help tidy up your dispersion. The trick will be figuring out if it's the lead arm pulling or the trail arm throwing that is driving the pattern. Good luck!

Click here to start your free 3 day trial. No credit card required.