Tour pros and ulnar deviation

Tour pros and ulnar deviation  

By: Gene P on Nov. 7, 2020, 1:37 p.m.

Wondering if there are any videos about how pros unhinge (ulnar deviation) and when that happens in their swings. Or perhaps a 3D analysis would be interesting because it seems to me that based on other movements in the swing (pivot, side bend, etc.), ulnar deviation is hard to see even with slow motion video. If someone could point me to it, I’d appreciate it.

Re: Tour pros and ulnar deviation  

By: Tyler F on Nov. 16, 2020, 8:53 a.m.

Hi Eugene,

Here's a video I did on ways to see ulnar deviation on video. Maybe it'll help tide you over until I can do a video with 3D graphs or video examples.
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/two-checks-ulnar-deviation/

Does this help,

Tyler

By: Gene P on Nov. 16, 2020, 10:07 a.m.

Thanks, this is a helpful video! One question: would ulnar deviation earlier in the downswing (like from the top of backswing) cause other issues? The reason I ask is that it’s been hard for me to train ulnar deviation midway in the downswing, so wondering if starting earlier is going to cause other problems for me. Or if I just need to stick with the drills and keep training it.

By: Tyler F on Nov. 16, 2020, 1:36 p.m.

For many tour golfers, the ulnar deviation does start quite early in the downswing. I think one of the big keys is that it's more of a relaxed or passive move. When a golfer tries to do it forcefully, that usually messes things up.

Also, look at your swing to see if something else is blocking it from working. While the drills can take time to master, they should provide better good shots in a short-ish time frame 😉

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.