Toe hits

Toe hits  

By: Robert N on Jan. 22, 2022, 5:48 a.m.

I’ve been fighting toe hooks for awhile now. I’m not sure if it’s too much hands, body rotation, or what. I can play pretty well at times, but there is no consistency. This is my latest driver swing, irons look similar. I also have a sawed off follow through most of the time. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Toe hits  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 22, 2022, 2:32 p.m.

Hi Rob,

Toe hits come from the club moving away from the target line and increasing the distance the club is from the ball. The 3 main movement culprits are early extension, too much tilt/hang back, or bending your arms through impact.

To break your situation down, let's look at a couple of pictures. Comparing top of the swing and impact, you'll see there's not much of a lifting motion, but there is a bit of a move away from the golf ball. If we look at delivery position, the club is a bit steep as well and then the arms tend to bend a bit on the way through. The body moving away from the golf ball and the arms bending cause the toe hits. So I'd work on getting a little bit flatter (either at the top or delivery position) so that you can focus on staying in your posture a bit better through the shot. That combination will help with the toe as well as the hook.

I'd try the delivery pump drill for the arms or try the head on a pillow, side arm throw for the posture.

Keep us posted!

Tyler

By: Robert N on Jan. 22, 2022, 5:10 p.m.

Thanks for the quick reply, I’m signing up for the long term! When you say too much tilt/hang back, not sure what you
mean. I try to stay behind the ball through impact, is that a wrong feel?

By: Tyler F on Jan. 25, 2022, 6:16 a.m.

I think one of the hardest things in golf is separating feel and real. You're not alone!

Here's your impact line. You are definitely not too far back, so staying back is probably a good thought for you. But if you were actually too far back, then that could be a cause of toe hits.

Quick reminder, if I have a golfer who's working through toe hits, my big areas to investigate:
- Is the chest pulling away from the ball (too much up, too much away, too much back)
- Are the arms bending through impact (often because the arms were too steep in the downswing)

With your pattern, I'd say it's the latter.

Good luck,

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.