Swing mechanics

Swing mechanics  

By: Jim B on Nov. 15, 2022, 2:25 p.m.

Hi Tyler. My ball striking has improved greatly since i started following you. Currently around a 2 index (mostly all home scores tho) but want to be plus. Average around 12 gir. When i look at my swing on film i feel like the shaft comes in steep. Clubhead seems outside the ball at delivery pos. However I do have very little wrist cock on the back swing and *feel* like a maintain alot of ulner dev throughout the swing. Maybe because of this *width* i dont need as much shallowing? I heard someone mention this in regards to Tom Kims swing. Do you agree this is the first thing you'd work on if you were me (better arm shallowing?). My driver is typically a low ball flight with a slight fade. Id say my misses are mostly to the right on all clubs (possibly alignment as i play a draw with short irons 8 and up. Also, one thing i notice in my follow through vs tour players is that my left are starts to bend around ground parellel and right wrist flexion breaks down which makes clubhead come out more low left under the right shoulder from the dtl view. Is this a result of lack of forarm rotation after impact or something else? If i want to draw the ball i feel like i rotate foreams but in normal swing I dont. Is this a feeling i should have on every swing? Would love to hear your opinion on what stands out to be worked on (maybe you see a totally different flaw that needs to be addressed than i do?) and what drills would be best to practice over the winter in order to get to the next level. Thanks!!

P.s i also just noticed it after impact around arms parallel my position looks different than the pros.(attached is a pic on cantlay and xander). I looks like my hips rotate but then stall and my hips lose flexion (not sure it thats the right term). Basically i lose the bend in my hips. Anyway, this seems like something that will be hard to work on but would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by: Jim B on Nov. 18, 2022, 6:43 p.m., edited 12 times in total.

Re: Swing mechanics  

By: Tyler F on Nov. 19, 2022, 11:18 a.m.

Hi Jim,

This is usually a good time of the year to get organized for the off season. If I had to summarize what I'd work on for your swing, it would be trying to get more connection with the shoulder blades. You have more shoulder blade movement at the top and in the follow through, which causes the look you’re our describing in the finish. Also, having more active shoulder blades tends to support the wrists being stiffer (no wrist set in backswing, or wrist shallowing in downswing). The shoulder blade motion causes the pull pattern/steep at the bottom and contributes to your look of low left exit. You'll see the left elbow is quite low on the body as it appears in the follow through, compared to Cantlay and Schauffele.

I imagine you've hated things like the towel drill? But it might be a way to keep the arms in front. The only trick for you is that it might encourage you keeping the arms low. If you do the towel drill, you'll want to focus on the arms staying more high (chest height) instead of low. It will probably feel bryson-ish. Having the trail arm higher will help your wipe, which would cause you to have big miss hits without the ulnar deviation to shallow it out.

You can either work on keeping the connection at the top of backswing, or during the release. I'd usually start with the release, but its' not an absolute rule. I would be curious to see your single arm releases, those might be a good compliment as well as they could reveal some of the shoulder pattern for each arm.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.