right arm bend at impact.

right arm bend at impact.  

By: Rick T on Feb. 1, 2021, 10:50 a.m.

Hi Tyler. I feel like I've been "cheating " on you but can you comment on this. I saw a number of videos by an instructor that wanted 1. the top of the back swing in plane with the shoulder plane. 2. squatting and keeping chest down. 3. rotating keeping the left arm close to your chest and right arm bent. Unhinging and keeping the hands/club head "behind" the body. Rotating to impact with less emphasis on "Jackson Five". There was obviously a lot more but I wanted to give you an idea of what I saw. On reviewing my swing I notice that my right arm is very much straight at impact and I do not rotate very well. I know my tendency is early extension. I also tend to not use the ground (rotation ) well. The top of my back swing is more vertical. So in watching this video it looks like the right arm will be more bent at impact, there's more rotation with possible speed gains and long straight arm finish (my finish looks like I am flipping -more L like at 3 oclock) . Am I adding thoughts or things that I'll regret? Like many instructors that believe in over exaggerating a movement -the squat (hip back chest down) and keeping club face square to the swing path for so long looks and feels strange. He emphasizes on the downswing he likes the club to be back and around. I know there are different ways to swing the club but I feel if I can get my right arm bent and be more open at impact it would be better. What are your thoughts? Thank you.

Re: right arm bend at impact.  

By: Tyler F on Feb. 7, 2021, 9:19 a.m.

No worries. I cheat on me sometimes too ;) My goal with the site is to help you all learn how to be your own coach. So if you look at other stuff, I want you to know how to think about it critically. Who does it apply to? What else has to happen for that suggestion to work?

Anyway, as for your question. today's new video post relates to the Jackson 5 vs turn. Check it out. https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/turn-vs-slide-discussion/

As far as the arm straight vs turn discussion. Yes, in order to get more body turn, the trail arm can't be straight at impact. Here's a video on that topic :) https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/connecting-trail-arm-pivot/

I think in general, hitting it more with the body and less with the arms helps most golfers. How much you need to do varies. The drills will help you add it incrementally so that you can hopefully play well enough while working through it. When it comes to the trail arm bend. Normally I would see if you could do a 9-3 without straightening the trail arm. If you can't make contact with a trail arm, then working on the engine won't do you much good initially.

I hope that helps you organize your thoughts,

Tyler

By: Rick T on Feb. 7, 2021, 9:40 a.m.

Thank you for explanation Tyler. You are usually prompt with your replies. I see why it took a little longer - you made a whole video answering my question ! I actually saw your group email of the video before this and had to chuckle to myself. Your great! Really appreciate your expertise!

By: Tyler F on Feb. 7, 2021, 11:16 a.m.

Glad you appreciated the video. I figure that eventually, it will be rare that I haven't filmed a video answering a golfers question. Until then, feel free to keep asking!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.