Putting Stroke Help

Putting Stroke Help  

By: Nick W on April 21, 2020, 11:55 a.m.

Hello All,
Please find my putting stroke below (shot in 240fps). The cup is six feet away from me in the video.

I've struggled in the past with setup (basically every setup error you could make) and too much knee and hip movement. These two errors help create another flaw; I would get much too wristy and have a very inconsistent takeaway.

Appreciate the help!

Nick

Re: Putting Stroke Help  

By: Tyler F on April 24, 2020, 11:16 a.m.

+Nick W Stroke is looking much better. I'd keep working on the lower body stability. It looks like your lower-body rotates a bit in the downswing. You can play with anchoring your lower body at the hips, knees, or feet. I'll post a couple of ways to work on lower body stability at home later today or tomorrow.

Stroke wise, the takeaway looks like more of a handle drag than a swing. So I'd probably shift the stroke focus there.

By: Nick W on April 26, 2020, 5:29 p.m.

+Tyler F
Thanks Tyler!
I wasn't happy with my hips and knees just yet or I would have submitted this for a swing review. I felt like I was doing something a little off with my takeaway, but couldn't put my finger on it; the handle dragging is spot on.

Quick follow up question: what grip pressure do you typically recommend for putting? I've noticed that it is easier for me to ensure that I do not use my hands at takeaway with a lighter grip, but I feel like that might cause some stability issues in the swing.

Thank you!

Nick

By: Tyler F on April 27, 2020, 10:38 a.m.

+Nick W Identifying the phase of the swing that looks off is a good place to start :)

I don't know if there is a standard for grip pressure. I haven't seen anything. I know Stan Utley promotes a firmer grip pressure. I tend to putt my best with more of a light (but not floppy) feel. A light pressure was a key for me under pressure. But I think this is an area that needs more research. As a result, I'd experiment with a couple different pressures in practice and see which one worked the best.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.