Putting it together

Putting it together  

By: Ryan A on May 12, 2021, 1:54 p.m.

Hello,
I've been going thought the GSA program for a while now and I think I have made some good progress, but I am having trouble putting it all together. I've added two swings below from my latest range session. I get a late early extension, which makes me slap at the ball. I know it happens when I get me arm heavy and less rotation, but even when I think I am rotating well it will creep in. I do also realize I am coming in a bit steep here, I have been working on a better take-away to get shallowing. It is frustrating because I think I can hit decent 9-3s, keeping the right arm bent and coming across my body, but every time I go for full swings this pattern comes back. It seems to me that when my left leg extends it pushes my upper body back away from the target instead of pushing the left him back and allowing the rest of the body to keep rotating. When I try to work on this I end up with massive across the body pulls. I've also been trying to play with grip or ball placement in case either is giving me bad positioning or face angles from the start, all that seems to be doing is making it worse. Often I think my face angle looks good and shut after shaft parallel, but the the upper body shoots back and the arms straighten. Any Suggestions or should I just quick full swings for a few weeks and only hit 9-3s?!
Thank you!

Re: Putting it together  

By: Ryan A on May 12, 2021, 11:18 p.m.

I think I might have found my issue...
https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/internal-vs-external-trail-leg/

By: Ryan A on May 17, 2021, 10:06 a.m.

Two more swings after working on rear hip external rotation and hopefully getting a better pivot with the push off the inside of my rear foot. Got pretty steep here, need to work on better shallowing. Also, I think the ball may be a bit too far back. In the practice swing in the front view I do a better job with a forward low point, I think I may be standing up to ensure I can hit the ball before rotating past it. Also from the practice swing, it looks like I am not continuing to close the club face enough, I think I can clean this up with a better shallow, allowing for better forearm work. Any thoughts?

By: Tyler F on May 17, 2021, 2:17 p.m.

Hey Ryan,

Definitely an upgrade in your lower body action. I'd stick with it and keep it a high priority. It's probably an easier playing thought than working on the arm rotation at this point.

But, yes, the arm motion will help compliment the better body pivot. The ball could be slightly back in your stance, but it doesn't look dramatic. What makes it appear that way is the transition move and lag check point. The shallow moves would help allow you to hit a better delivery position and help your low point or possible pull misses.

You're definitely moving in the right direction though, keep on it!

Tyler

By: Ryan A on May 19, 2021, 10:40 a.m.

Thank you Tyler. Took it back to the course for my weekly 9, warm on the range was good, but of course after 3 holes I started coming forward again. Filmed a couple balls at the range after to verify. So will work more on the thought for the feet.

Another quick question, how do you think about finding a swing matchup with a pro to do a direct comparison to help when looking at swing positions on film? DJ is same height and build as me (obviously a ton more athletic), so I gravitate toward him, but I can see he is hitting more of a fade. Is it worth paying attention to his body positions and understanding the differences that lead to fade or finding somebody else? Or is it a fools errand all together and not worry about it?

Thank you.

By: Tyler F on May 24, 2021, 10:05 a.m.

Yea, it's definitely a journey. If I had a dollar for every time my warm up was good and my round wasn't as good (or vice versa)!

As far as your question about choosing a model, height and build probably isn't a bad place to start. However, no two swings are exactly the same, so it's important to recognize and understand match ups. But in general, if I was going to model after a golfer, I'd look at the following characteristics.

Ball flight tendencies
Grip strength
Power source pattern
Release and bracing tendencies

I think in general, it's important to understand the general model, then understand how each player has their own match ups that build their version of the model.

Given your questions, I think you'll like some of the programs I'm working on for the site. To be your own coach, you have to know how to assess your game and analyze your own video. Those two programs are in development right now :)

Until then, happy golfing!

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.