Pulling the ball straight flight

Pulling the ball straight flight  

By: Frank L on June 9, 2021, 12:20 p.m.

Tyler,
Hi. My name is Frank Lyons from upstate NY. I’m in the middle of reading your book. I’m on page 116 just starting chapter19. Just got the book 2 nights ago. Love the book so far. Great job! I also plan on becoming a paying member of your site after my trail period runs out. Great job on that as well. Today I went to the range and hit a bucket of balls with to see what my ball flight tendency’s are. BTW I used the motorcycle move on every swing. I’ve toyed with it before watching Malaska, Clay Ballard etc but your videos convinced me that I need to get that move down. Anyway, using your swing decoder my Driver shots where all solid straight pulls about 20 yards left of the target. Seven iron felt great but also 10-20 feet left of target with slight draw. Was hitting 58 degree wedges about 60 yds with 3/4 swing could of put blanket over them. Try to do your 9-3 motorcycle/ four square drill but for the life of me can’t get ball to start right and draw. Can start at middle or left and draw. Any drills you think will help I’d appreciate it. Oh, I’m 68 yrs old, 13.4 handicap, max swing speed with driver little over 100mph with playing speed 95 to 97 tend to hit middle of face.
Thank, FL

Last edited by: Frank L on June 9, 2021, 12:25 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Pulling the ball straight flight  

By: Tyler F on June 13, 2021, 9:23 a.m.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the background and for checking out my site. If you really want to get to the bottom of it, then I'd recommend posting a video of your swing (either doing the drill or an actual swing) to see why the ball is starting to the left. The good news is that there are only two options, either the path is too much to the left and the face is a little closed, or the path is straight/right and the face is quite closed. But as you can see, it would be easier to solve the puzzle if we know which "left" we are trying to fix.

If you read the ball flight accurately, then you can go off of ball flight and contact. The first scenario will have less curve and typically a more leftward divot.

One solution requires more of a path focus, and the other more of a shaft lean/lag/face focus. I have plenty of videos on the site to help with either issue, but you have to pick the right issue to get the fastest results. So post your swing if you've like and we can investigate further.

Good luck!

Tyler

By: Frank L on June 15, 2021, 2:33 p.m.

Here is my swing with a nine iron. Both shots went straight about 115-120 yds. Looks like my body is pretty square to the target at impact. And I have a flip at the bottom. What so you suggest first? Man if I could just get my hips and shoulders open even a little at impact it would get my hands more forward, bring down ball flight and a bunch of other good stuff. Yes?

Last edited by: Frank L on June 15, 2021, 2:42 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on June 16, 2021, 9:28 a.m.

Hey Frank, thanks for posting your swing.

I think you're on the right track. Looking at your video, I think we can rule out the hard over the top pull. Yours is more of a club face too closed pull. That said, there's a couple of match ups that make your swing work the way it does, but they make you prone to the pull. As you said, the scoop at the bottom without a lot of body rotation causes the face to get closed. That's related to your face closing, so I think you're on the right track with the motorcycle.

I would also start playing around with the delivery position drills. As you can see in the screenshot, you're body is pretty closed at this point. Here are a couple of videos to help get you started with the delivery position training.

https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/pelvis-club-x-factor/
https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/downswing-lag-checkpoint/

Good luck and keep us posted,

Tyler

By: Frank L on June 16, 2021, 3:32 p.m.

Thanks Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.