Pull Down in Transition

Pull Down in Transition  

By: Bradley S on Jan. 11, 2021, 7:21 p.m.

Hi Tyler -

Working on getting more depth and less across the line at the top to help prevent excessive pull down in transition. This then usually forces me to stall and early extend to help shallow the club. Any drills or thoughts to help with a quick, steep transition? Thanks!

Re: Pull Down in Transition  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 11, 2021, 8:20 p.m.

Looking at transition, I would try to answer a few questions and get to the bottom of it.

Where is the pull down coming from? Is it coming more from the left side or right side. Is it a compensation move for a poor release? Is it because my backswing doesn't load anything other than my arms so I have nothing else to pull with? Is it because my upper body is standing up and my arms have to extend to get down to golf ball?

In general, pump drills, slow motion drills, arm shallowing drills all work, but the area you need to focus on depends on your version.

FYI, I just posted a new shallowing drill to help you find your own spatial feel, check it out https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/shallow-wall-slides/

By: Bradley S on Jan. 12, 2021, 7:54 p.m.

Thanks, Tyler. Like the new video a lot and will work on it.

I suspect my issue is right side driven (very right hand dominant), and that my upper body is standing up forcing me to get to the ball in some fashion. Not sure how to diagnose if my backswing is not loading anything other than my arms so I have nothing else to pull down with. Attached is a swing if you have time to take a look.

Appreciate the response and keep up the great work!

By: Tyler F on Jan. 18, 2021, 9:57 a.m.

As far as depth goes, I don't think you'd want to add too much more at the top. Your handle is close to your heel at the top (that's a decent reference point for handle depth)
Looking at the key positions, I'd like to see some more body rotation, with a little more trail arm wipe. The follow through is great in terms of arms straight, but the body is under rotated there too. I'd be curious to see a 9 to 3 or triangle drill to see what happens when you try to hit it with more body rotation.

Tyler

By: Bradley S on Jan. 21, 2021, 9:49 a.m.

Thanks Tyler! I've been looking at the wipe drills, especially the assisted trail arm video.

Are there particular rotation drills you suggest?

By: Tyler F on Jan. 25, 2021, 5:25 p.m.

I almost always start with the Merry Go Round drill as a reference for rotation, but then I'll do something for the timing of the rotation, like the reverse pump. I start there and then troubleshoot based on what shows up. Most golfers don't do it perfectly the first time through working on it.

https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/reverse-pump/

By: Bradley S on Feb. 4, 2021, 10:13 a.m.

Thanks! Seems like I have a sequencing issue. You have any drill recommendations for keeping that rear hip more passive coming down and getting the chest more open into/at impact?

By: Tyler F on Feb. 7, 2021, 8:33 a.m.

I don't think it's really about keeping that trail leg more passive. To me, it looks more like the chest doesn't really turn and the trail arm has more of a throw pattern. So working on drills to feel more of a body hit or upper body sequence drills would work well. Try the beat the drum drill to get a sense of the upper body turning, if that makes you hit it worse, then it's likely the trail arm that has to be tweaked to free up the core.

https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/beat-the-drum/

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.