Please review swing

Please review swing  

By: Timothy F on Oct. 18, 2021, 1:57 p.m.

Hi Tyler the first video is DTL I’m working on part 1 of the takeaway trying to move the club with a twisting of my spine. Video #2 is DTL with an 8 iron my thought was to just swing through the ball. Can I do your body type swing? I understand the chop type of swing without much body pivot. If you say that I need to do a chop swing is there a hybrid of the 2 swing types. How do I go about it? Where do I start? Are there any functional moves in my golf swings? Ever since joining I’m not hitting very well it’s not your fault it’s me. I’d love to chat with you if that’s a possibility. Hope you can help
Tim

Re: Please review swing  

By: Tyler F on Oct. 21, 2021, 1:20 p.m.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the site. Thanks for posting your swing. The videos are okay, but you'll see that they are pretty blurry, so perhaps look at the mode that you are using. Some phones have a slow motion option, but it depends what you are working on.

With my students, I try to avoid, "hitting it good", "hitting it bad". That's too vague to be really helpful. It's better to use specific traits relating to contact, direction, trajectory, or distance. Either way, I think you've got some good pieces to build off of. I've got lots of students who are larger who develop some good golf swings. Some things will look different, but the basic model is the same regardless of if you are thin or husky. I did a video on husky golfers if you want to check it out. When you're studying swings, definitely look for similar body styles to help with how it's going to look.
https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/analysis-husky-golfers/

If you're not hitting it solid, then I would start at impact. You'll see that your hands are a bit back and your lower body is early extending into the golf ball. That can cause some low point issues or 2-way miss with clubface control. So I'd start there before worrying too much about the takeaway.

What drills have you been using so far?

By: Timothy F on Oct. 21, 2021, 7:17 p.m.

Hey Tyler, Your comments are appreciated. So I’ve tried to work on the following movements in my golf swing. In the transition I’ve attempted to get to my left side with a small lateral move ,so that I can get the energy from my body out to the club then through the ball. I do this by attempting to shallow the club (wall drill) by pronating my left arm, then trying to turn my hips, then chest and finally my elbows. I’ve done a lot of impact drills, left & right side bend drills. But I can’t figure out what my power source is and release pattern is. I think once I can figure those 2 things out I’ll be able to really improve my golf swing.I think One of my major problems is that I loose most of the angle between the left arm wrist and hand in my downswing by the time the grip is in front of my right leg. I’ve had some success by feeling that my right arm is pointed at the ball at last parallel in the downswing. I try my best to get forward shaft lean with my body turning but I’m not very successful at this movement. Probably because I’m fat and old. But I think the video of unhinging the wrist while continuing to turn is helpful. I think by my comments that I’m lost. That’s why Im going to do the annual membership so that I have a track to run on from start to finish. I think I just need to have structure and probably need to be told what to do and what drills to work on.
Thanks for listening
Tim

By: Tyler F on Oct. 23, 2021, 7:42 a.m.

Hi Tim,

I think the pictures here are the most telling. The body pivot pattern appears to be more of a back extension pattern. You mentioned not being able to feel the power source. The different power source is using your abs, like a crunch, vs using the back and calf. My favorite drill station for that is reach over the fence or the trail knee plunger. You mentioned that you hit the ball well with this thought "I’ve had some success by feeling that my right arm is pointed at the ball at last parallel in the downswing." By keeping your hips back and chest down, it makes it easier to point your arm at the ball AND it creates the space for your arms to get more in front. Like you mentioned, the hardest adjustment is feeling the power source and the timing changes.

I'll make a quick video of how I use PVC pipe to make these stations easier to set up.

https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/impact-over-the-fence/
https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/monitoring-trail-knee-early-extension/

By: Tyler F on Oct. 23, 2021, 8:56 a.m.

video for your station for inside practice.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.