planemate?

planemate?  

By: Greg B on Sept. 5, 2019, 1:20 p.m.

Have you seen or used the tourstriker "plane mate"? If so, any thoughts on it's potential usefulness?

Re: planemate?  

By: Ryan M on Oct. 18, 2019, 6:36 p.m.

+Greg B

Saw Rory using it on Instagram and saw that they immediately sold out and it is now only available for preorder.

By: Tyler F on Sept. 9, 2019, 10:49 a.m.

I have not seen or tried the planemate yet. In theory, it might help with arcwidth, but I haven't tried it and am unsure on the anchor point and how it would influence the feeling during the release.

By: Tyler F on Oct. 21, 2019, 9:22 p.m.

I've got a student bringing one in at his next lesson to let me borrow. I'll let you know what I think of it after that ;)

By: Ryan M on Nov. 1, 2019, 8:21 a.m.

+Tyler F
Hi Tyler, Did that student bring in that plane-mate yet? What did you think?

By: Tyler F on Nov. 2, 2019, 6:23 a.m.

+Ryan M He's supposed to come in Tuesday. Unless something comes up, I'll let you know after I get to play around with it

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:56 a.m.

+Tyler F I've got to play around with the planemate for a couple weeks. While it provides some interesting feels, I have yet to see it make a big positive change with any student I tried it with. No major change with shallowing or with the release in a dozen of trials.

For me personally it felt like it makes it harder to ulnar deviate/supinate through the release. If you are patient, that could be a good thing as it could make you work really hard to do it correctly.

Also, I noticed golfers who were prone to sliding or lunging in the downswing did it more so with the planemate. For me, that's a big worry as it would reinforce those power patterns.

It does give some interesting feels, and I'm not sure if golfers would benefit from using it for a month or so. But with a single session of 10-15 minutes, I didn't see any lightbulbs go off with any of the golfers tested.

By: Guy K on Jan. 19, 2020, 9:48 a.m.

+Tyler F
What is your view of the planemate’s potential for finesse and distance wedges? I have a gravity fit and use it both with and without the t-pro and find it great for feedback on width throughout the swing (as well as finesse/distance wedges where I’m adjusting arc width and especially putting) as well as sequencing. I don’t really get a sense that the planemate is a more flexible use aid - looks good for takeaway and sequence on very short shots - not clear how good for wedge play or putting?

Thanks
Guy

Last edited by: Guy K on Jan. 19, 2020, 9:50 a.m., edited 4 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Jan. 27, 2020, 9:20 a.m.

+Guy K
I personally wasn't a huge fan of the plane mate. It gave some interesting feels while using it that I thought would have carry over, but it didn't really show up that way for me or any of the students I tried it with.

As far as the gravity fit, how do you use it without the t-pro? I haven't heard of that suggestion and would be curious to try it out. I like the idea of the gravity fit, especially for trial arm training, but I think you have to be careful that it doesn't cause the lead shoulder to retract as well.

By: Guy K on Jan. 27, 2020, 9:48 a.m.

+Tyler F
I got the idea from dan carraher. I used it with the tpro in helping my posture and it worked great at getting me out of the bit of slumped shoulders. I just use the bands - putting, chipping, pitching, full swings. Great for width, backswing and downswing, as well as connection and transition. Glad I have it. Easy to strap on then do a couple of reps then do a few reps without. I’m not convinced on the planemate. Don’t see it as a help on putting or short game - as noted I see takeaway as biggest help. After that I noted that a number of folks on golfwrx, now that lots more have one in hand, as noting issues where it appears they can cheat the device - I tried to tell folks they would best be served to have instruction with the aid but it is the lastest miracle drug for the golf swing and some take any negative comments about it as blasphemy. Lol.
Guy

By: Guy K on Jan. 27, 2020, 1:08 p.m.

+Tyler F
Julian Suri using it ( without tpro) with iron not with driver
https://www.instagram.com/p/B71htNwFJxz/

Last edited by: Guy K on Jan. 27, 2020, 2:55 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Feb. 6, 2020, 9:38 a.m.

+Guy K Thanks for the share. I've done something similar with some elastic tubing that I think is similar. I like the way the tubing attaches to the hands better, but it serves the same function. Keeping the trail elbow extension and the trail shoulder packed is really helpful for sequencing the body and loading the hips in the backswing. I don't want to keep the lead shoulder blade retracted, but I love it for the trail arm.

I've seen what you said about the planemate. There are some products that develop a strong following instantly. This seems to be one of those products :)

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.