New(ish) Member Swing Video

New(ish) Member Swing Video  

By: Mark L on Feb. 13, 2023, 3:44 p.m.

I’ve been a member for about nine months and this is my first swing video upload.

Some background: Years ago I was a 10-11 handicap. I am now an 18 and I’ve been trying to rebuild my swing the last two years.

I’ll be 52 next week. I’m a longtime martial artist, former college athlete, and I lift weights a few times a week, and do you light cardio. (And yes, I’m trying to get the extra weight off.)

I’ve uploaded driver swings and 7-iron swings. I’ve been striking the ball better, but I had no idea how short my backswing has gotten until I saw the videos today.

Tyler, is there any hope? :)

Re: New(ish) Member Swing Video  

By: Tyler F on Feb. 18, 2023, 11:51 a.m.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting your swing and letting me help in your process. I may be biased, but I think there is always hope.

I think the lowest hanging fruit with your swing is working on getting your steeps and shallows more balanced. It gets quite steep in transition and then you have a fair amount of upper body standing up through the release. This can cause toe hits, fat/thin shots and overall inconsistent ball striking.

The big issue is that your trail shoulder tends to throw during the downswing (it protracts or comes up as if you were covering the ball with it). In fact, if you look at your set up position, you can see that your shoulders are a little bit open (can't see any of the left arm) because that right shoulder is up and out. I'd start there. if your right arm is more tucked, and you feel like your shoulders are closed at set up, then you'll be free to rotate better during the release.

I'll do a video on this topic, because it combines a few ideas, but the shoulders closed will allow the rotation, which will feel smoother and shallower. Here's a video that's along the same topic. BUT, for you, instead of thinking of the spine, think more of the shoulders doing this motion. https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/presetting-spine-rotation/

Happy Golfing,
Tyler

By: Mark L on April 12, 2023, 7:55 p.m.

Tyler, I appreciate your insights. Do you have maybe another drill where I’m not second guessing each position I’m trying to get into to perform it?

Also, I’m having trouble getting my shoulders square with the driver. I seem to always veer toward open shoulders. Very frustrating.

By: Tyler F on April 13, 2023, 10:49 a.m.

Do you have a video of you doing the drill? those can be really helpful in deciding which drill to do instead. It gives a glimpse into how your brain is currently "solving the problem".

By: Mark L on April 14, 2023, 5:19 p.m.

I don’t have a video of me doing the drill, but I can probably put one together.

I also forgot to add that after doing the drill a few times it was hard for me to connect it with my swing.

By: Tyler F on April 16, 2023, 6:26 a.m.

That would help. The site has lots of drills, so yes, we have lots of options to get you to try and feel more of a body hit and less of an arm hit. But I'm trying to figure out what didn't click with the first attempt.

Another good drill for you might be the 4 ball rhythm drill. It can be a way to take some of the "arm hit" out of the swing.
https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/four-ball-rhythm-drill/

By: Mark L on May 19, 2023, 12:34 p.m.

So, I went back and tried the original drill again and I got it. I mean - I'm able to do it but I need a lot of work because I really want to use my arms more. My issue is being able to insert the drill movement into my swing. I will work on the drill a lot more and get back with you if it's not working, so to speak. Thanks!

By: Tyler F on May 22, 2023, 9:48 a.m.

Isn't it funny how sometimes a drill clicks, and sometimes it doesn't land the first time you try it. I've had many situations where I've tried something with a student that didn't click the first time. And then 6 months later, after working on another piece, we revisit it and it clicks. I hope others will see your comment and realize that just because you tried something once, and it didn't work, that we should be open to trying it again at another point.

If you want more clarity on your journey, feel free to post another swing update. Good luck with it either way!

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.