New Member - Swing Video

New Member - Swing Video  

By: John A on Feb. 12, 2023, 12:33 p.m.

Hey Tyler,

Love your book and videos. Your instruction is exceptionally clear and specific!

I hit my shorter irons decently but can struggle with my longer irons. I have been trying to get my shoulders more open at impact but haven't found anything that works. I think it must have something to do with how I strike the ball or gain power because it is very resistant to any change (comparison of maroon and blue shirt - 1 month apart and a lot of swing work trying to get open).

My path tends to be inside-out 1-3 degrees. On longer irons the path can get closer to 5 degrees inside out and I can struggle with a toe bias and some nasty hooks.

Thanks for taking a look.

-John

Re: New Member - Swing Video  

By: Tyler F on Feb. 18, 2023, 12:08 p.m.

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words.

With the long irons, we have to create more of a flat spot than with the short irons. This usually means more axis tilt and more arm extension through the ball. You tend to really hold the elbow bend constant through impact, which causes more of a narrow bottom and less margin of error for the longer irons. https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/3-wood-and-long-irons/

Also, it's important to understand the difference between getting your hips and core open...rather than your shoulders. If the shoulders get too open, then the hips can't get more open and it's hard to get the arm extension correct. https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/spinning-shoulders-vs-core/

Looking at your swing some more, I think that's your biggest issue. You seem to have good tilt, but you rotate your shoulders at the same rate that you rotate your hips. They move together, and that usually creates too steep and narrow a bottom of the swing for the longer irons. That's why when you get the path in to out, it's done from the arms instead of from the pivot. That results in toe hits and big hooks.

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.