New Member - Swing Video

New Member - Swing Video  

By: Trevor M on Dec. 31, 2022, 2:15 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

Thanks the website and the help you offer, learning a lot. I’m working on getting a face on and right now all I have is a DTL due to the weather.

I feel that I have solid legwork but things break down somewhere - I feel the bottom of my swing is steep. You’ll see two videos here, one where I release the head towards the target early and one where I keep it down. Any preference?

My main struggle now is heel shots. You’ll see my hands at address do not line back up at impact - and the club face is also swinging outside at the bottom of the swing. I’ve tried standing back a bit but that didn’t help much, I still see the club face more around the heel on video.

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks

Re: New Member - Swing Video  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 2, 2023, 7:52 p.m.

Hey Trevor,

Happy New Year!

I always enjoy a good puzzle. Heel contact can sometimes be a frustrating challenge. But let's talk through it.

If you set up on the sweet spot and then end up striking the ground on the heel it means that something has moved out toward the golf ball. The most common causes are the upper body moving into the golf ball (often because the weight moved from the heels to the toes), the upper body moving too much down, or the arms swinging further away from the body (usually because they are too close to begin with). This one might slightly be a factor, but it's not egregious. So in your case, it looks like it's the downward movement of the upper body (especially in the first video).

Also, compounding that in your at-home station is the fact that the board is slightly raised compared to the floor, but you're not choking up on the club. So effectively, the ground is too high which makes it more likely to hit the heel rather than the toe. I would recommend setting up a yoga block with your station. Since you're not looking at the ball at impact you'll have to work more off of feel and having some extra feedback for heel/toe contact will be helpful.
https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/low-point-yoga-block/

By: Trevor M on Jan. 4, 2023, 7:25 p.m.

Hey Tyler,

Awesome tip, I took a few swings with the yoga block and it seems to be helping. What do you think? I believe I’m doing the drill correctly.

I’m going to get to an indoor range to get some face on vids and keep working the yoga block drill. If you have any others to help with heel shots that would be awesome. And of course any other feedback would be great.

Thanks again!

Last edited by: Trevor M on Jan. 4, 2023, 7:26 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Trevor M on Jan. 4, 2023, 7:35 p.m.

Also, I’m not sure or feel that anything changed… I guess just seeing the block moved my swing inside a bit which was the point. Continue to use the block until this is engrained correct?

I wish I could feel something different but I cannot.

Last edited by: Trevor M on Jan. 5, 2023, 6:24 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Jan. 9, 2023, 1:21 p.m.

Hey Trevor,

I hope the yoga block is helping you build some clubhead awareness. One thing to watch out for is in the video you posted, you rotated your body a lot less (see image). So you want to make sure you're still using your body, but avoiding the yoga block.

The feel might develop with more reps, but at least you'll have a way of controlling the heel contact. But if you continue to struggle with finding feels, then you can always deliberately try and hit the yoga block and see what you did to do so. Sometimes the feel comes when you deliberately do the wrong thing and you can indirectly find your good swing feel.

By: Trevor M on Jan. 9, 2023, 7:26 p.m.

Thanks Tyler. I’ll work on those tips.

The left picture is where I keep my head/eyes down through impact, the right is where I release the head towards the target before impact. Im still working on which one would work out best for me, it’s slightly intimidating not looking at the club hit the ball into impact, although my body is more open through the ball. Still working on it…

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.