New Member, looking for feedback

New Member, looking for feedback  

By: David R on Oct. 29, 2021, 10:05 a.m.

Hi, I'm a relatively new member here but read Tyler's book the first time 2 years ago and again this summer. Big fan of the YouTube channel content and really like the way Tyler explains and demonstrates concepts and drills (which is what prompted me to finally sign up). I'm a mid-handicapper, hit my wedges well, and then get incrementally worse contact as the clubs get longer. My typical miss is a pull or over-draw. Launch monitors pretty consistently have me with a fairly neutral inside-out path (although the swings below look steep at the bottom to me) but face direction is inconsistent.

I'm working my way through the build your stock tour swing course and lesson #52(I think?) Arms Behind resonated with me, as do the sections on release. I have been working on the MGR drill, one arm swings, and extend arm drills (mostly 9-3), and motorcycle move (although I visualize a backfist motion with the lead hand). I see early extension in my swing and my hands kind of jammed up close to me on the DS, perhaps the result of an upper body dominant swing? I am hoping for some direction so that I don't go down the wrong path!
Thanks,
Dave

Here are two iron swings with a 6 iron.

Re: New Member, looking for feedback  

By: Tyler F on Oct. 31, 2021, 2:34 p.m.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the site! I'm glad you're working through the program, I think you keyed in on one of your big core movements. See the photos, your arm gets behind at the top. I'd be curious to see if that's consistent on all length swings or can you keep it more in front on 9-3 and 10-2's.

I think you'll have to work on the top of backswing position to keep the trail arm more in front, BUT, I'd want to make sure you could get into a good impact position on a 9-3 first. Does it still get behind on the shorter swings?

Tyler

PS - That vertical shaft at impact is almost always associated with club face inconsistency!

By: David R on Oct. 31, 2021, 6:04 p.m.

Thanks for your feedback,Tyler! After I posted those swings, I used the virtual mulligan to work on the backswing position. The build your tour swing course and that virtual tool are worth the price of admission alone.

I can get very good contact, low point and direction with the 9-3 swing. Sometimes I catch it a little heavy, but when I focus on rotation that problem clears up. I can also get good contact with the lead hand only drill now.

After drilling a backswing position with my arms more in front of my chest and elevated a bit more, I can make good contact with a 50% swing. I have never felt the trail elbow get in front of my right hip before…I will keep working on it!
Dave

By: Tyler F on Nov. 1, 2021, 12:04 p.m.

Great feedback! It sounds like you've narrowed it down to top of backswing with speed. You can use video to monitor what changes when you go harder (does the arm get more behind at the top in preparing to use speed, or does it fall behind as you start down and apply speed?). Keep cycling through the drills and you'll continue to make progress. Good job!

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.