My wrists have asked me to please stop digging holes

My wrists have asked me to please stop digging holes  

By: Ham S on May 24, 2020, 2:13 p.m.

Hey Tyler,

First off, your content is prolific, thank you for your awesome contributions to the game. I’d love one or two things to work on with my swing (wouldn’t we all). I’ve been at it for 10 years, been down every rabbit hole I could find. Keep coming back to this “no hinge” type swing where I’m trying to setup a “structure” and then just turn it back and through, ala Steve Stricker. Side note: Ive got Kienbochs disease in my right wrist, so not a ton of mobility there. I’ve NEVER once hit a push draw in my life, and I’m ok with that, but I would love to get more shallow and at least hit the back of the ball, as opposed to the outside. I was really leaning left during the backswing here, felt very “S&T” in that way. I am pretty much always aligned left of target, but intending to swing more along the target line. Wondering if there’s a backswing key or different intention I could work on that might have a domino effect on my steep downswing. Thanks again and look forward to possibly getting some feedback!

-S. Ham

Last edited by: Ham S on May 24, 2020, 2:16 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: My wrists have asked me to please stop digging holes  

By: Tyler F on May 25, 2020, 5:14 p.m.

+Ham S
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/where-should-club-point-pump-drill/
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/presetting-unhinge/

By: Ham S on May 25, 2020, 11:03 p.m.

+Tyler F
So cool of you to take the time to respond with so much insight, especially with the shoddy video I posted, thank you for working with it. Right wrist extension is definitely where I’m the most limited, but yeah so far it’s not really bothering me that much, surprisingly. You’re right on with the left arm movement, I ALWAYS feel it rolling down my chest into impact, indeed a very powerful way of removing turf : ) Focusing on the backswing was just my wishful thinking. It’s always been difficult for me to organize the arm shallowing feeling coming down, without taking it back low and inside to start out. I guess that’s what 10,000 reps of an OTT move will do to ya. On that note, what’s your thoughts on allowing for that engrained steepening move by getting deep enough in the backswing, like Matt Kuchar? Anyway, I will definitely try everything you suggested and will work on getting a face on view as soon as I can get back to the range. Thanks again Tyler!

- Sean

By: Tyler F on May 26, 2020, 5:41 p.m.

+Ham S Given that info, and the left arm wanting to pull, I would probably do the left arm only 9 to 3. It might be a real game changer for understanding how the left arm works during the release. That might help you change how you load and unload it in transition.

I wish it was as easy as a backswing thought, but you would have to be incredibly flat for that steepening move to bring you down on plane. I just don't see it working. Good luck on the release training!

Tyler

By: Ham S on May 30, 2020, 11:23 a.m.

+Tyler F
Ok here’s a couple videos. First the 9-3 drill. I liked this one. Couldn’t quite replicate the feel in my full swing but that’s ok. Also, a FO shot of a typical heavy pull Incase there’s anything in there you might see. Tried the Moe Norman drill and hit it 30 yards right which was consistent with how it felt. Definitely gong to keep investigating...

By: Tyler F on June 5, 2020, 5:23 p.m.

+Ham S Keep investigating things like the Moe Norman drill. I would definitely use some type of visual like the pool noodle in right path with a pool noodle. Or something like the wall drill. https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/pool-noodle-right-club-path/

This position has steep written all over it, so we have to find a way to get it a little bit more inside and lower at this point.

Last edited by: Tyler F on June 5, 2020, 5:25 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Ham S on June 6, 2020, 9:52 a.m.

Yep, I don’t like that picture at all : ). I’ve proved that I’m pretty good at obsessively working on this golf swing motion, sounds like I need to obsess about the right things, in my case shallowing the club by any means necessary. I’m on it! Also, I’ve tried to bait you into suggesting the ol’ “hands in club head out” on the backswing to promote the shallowing we’re after...you have avoided my traps. In general do you not subscribe to that line of thinking? Just curious, you da man.

By: Tyler F on June 7, 2020, 10:17 a.m.

+Ham S Set up a little station and hit about 20 balls with it and see what you figure out :)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.