Looking for general feedback

Looking for general feedback  

By: Olle E on May 2, 2020, 1:38 p.m.

Hi

I've decided to make a deep-dive into my swing and once and for all get rid of any swings faults and get it the best I can. I'm 10-15 handicap, looking to go down to 5. I'm 40 years old, started when I was younger, was never a long-hitter back then, now I hit good drives 250 yards. I'm the analytical type of person and for the past 10 months I've tried a lot of different things, many related to OTT, shallowing, swaying, so a long-term learner. I've watched most golf videos on Youtube, including many of yours and I really like your concise way of teaching. I'm mostly looking for feedback on what you think I should be focusing on. I wouldn't say I have any major misses on the golf course, but historically been hitting slight but straight left of my aim line, and hooks and slices in alternating periods, mostly hooks I would say but now it's slices if anything. Mostly I guess I worry about contact, low point, fat shots, especially outside of the fairway.

Lately I've been working on my release and getting more open at impact, passive arms. In the video I've included a few of my different swings, and some drills I've been working on. The drills section is primarily focused on getting my arms more passive and the swing more pivot driven. Also very confused about the motorcycle wrist move as it feels very foreign (in the video there is a short segment where I show how I interpret it being executed through the release).

Thanks for any feedback.
Olle

Re: Looking for general feedback  

By: Olle E on May 11, 2020, 3:42 p.m.

Second attempt at uploading the video.

Working my way though your videos in the meantime, which I absolutely love. I've watched a lot of golf videos, and still every single one of yours teaches me something. I think I have a fairly good understanding of most concepts.

Maybe you just prefer to watch the video, but in case you want to know more about my thoughts: I "think" I ought to get more open, and be more lower body driven. My grip is tense, and I feel like I am very armsy and really go after the ball with my upper body, which I think stalls my lower body rotation. I've tried releasing earlier and later, worked a lot on shallowing (was always OTT, but now frequently under plane but rarely hit a draw). I find it hard to motorcycle, but understand the two ways to square the face. Currently working on what I can swing no 3 and 4 in the video. Swing no 3 is completely relaxing the wrist and trail arm, and just rotate. Also, I recently discovered swing no 4, straight left arm and hardly any wrist hinge, body rotation, completely foolproof low point control and contact, and it is so simple, but getting the takeaway on plane feels so unnatural and I just can't seem to release the club properly in the follow-through.

I would love to hear which of the swings you think I should continue with, or what I should work on.

By: Tyler F on May 12, 2020, 3:04 p.m.

+Olle E Check out the video and drills!

Unhinge drills
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/over-top-bottom/
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/presetting-unhinge/
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/9-3-lead-arm-only/

By: Olle E on May 14, 2020, 1:48 a.m.

+Tyler F
I can’t thank you enough for the feedback Tyler! I have a suspicion you’re spot on! :) While it’s not the first time I feel that this “new move” is it, but the unhinge pattern definitely feels like a missing piece. Actually the whole unhinge playlist sort of went under my radar and I had postponed looking at it because I’ve played around with unhinging before without immediate results and didn’t think it related to me. But now that I’ve looked through a bunch of the videos and tried to feel it, it actually answers quite a few if not most of the unspoken question marks that I’ve had about different parts of the swing.

After thinking about it and if I’m going to be honest, what I see with my misses is that my iron misses are fat pulls and occasional thin shots, definitely not consistently solid. With the driver and fairway woods my takeaway is a bit less under-plane and the misses are slices, or even taking divots :). This all makes me believe you are correct in your assessment.

I tried the unhinge pattern on the range yesterday, so way to early to say much, but it feels a ton better when I get it right! It seems to allow me to utilize that great contact and low point of my swing no 4 and immediately took away that awkward hold off finish I was experiencing on that swing. I can feel I need to let my body rotate through. The initial misses when I didn’t were fats, which took the ball left. Also I wasn’t able to really blend the unhinge into the full swing on that first session, stopping at the top worked, but when I combined it I felt a bit more scoopy (club passing), probably from not rotating. But it feels it’s very much in the right direction.

So thank you so much! I’ll make sure to follow up after some practicing. Just wanted to let you know my initial impressions, which couldn’t be better. :)

By: Tyler F on May 18, 2020, 3:15 p.m.

+Olle E Thanks for sharing your feedback. After practicing it more, is the unhinge piece feeling more comfortable? Is it still solving the miss pattern?

Keep it up!

By: Olle E on May 21, 2020, 4:11 p.m.

+Tyler F
Alright, I’ve been trying it out on a few range sessions now and I’ve created a little video of the results so far.

So, I really liked the unhinge move, and it makes a lot of sense to me conceptually. I’m not sure if I’m unhinging enough as I thought I would see a bigger difference in the shallowness pre-impact, though it does feel more shallow. But I think the biggest impact the thought of unhinging has made, is to make me rotate more through impact and finish in a more “rotary” finish where the club comes around behind me and doesn’t feel held off like in the old swing no 4. I can take away the club more on plane, and still be able to shallow it in transition.

I also feel like the unhinge move gives me a more shallow angle of attack, maybe too shallow resulting in fats and thins if I don’t get the low point just right. So unfortunately not great low point control so far. The balls definitely launch higher. It feels nice in that it lets me finish better though. But it also looks and feels more flippy than swing no 4, which to my eye has a better impact position and with better arm extension after impact.

Unhinging also made the motorcycle move feel more natural, but perhaps for the wrong reasons? Before when I didn’t motorcycle at the top of the backswing I had trouble deciding in which direction to lay/unhinge the club down. Now, if I motorcycle at the top my tendency when trying to unhinge is to produce lead arm pronation and trail arm supination rather than lead arm ulnar deviation. For now I’ve just gone with the pronation/supination idea as it shallows the club more.

Another piece of the puzzle is that it is getting more clear that my main miss is a pull, so I don’t feel like I want to motorcycle anymore in the downswing. Though to be fair, I think part of it comes from slightly uneven hips, so maybe I am shooting straight, only that I can’t trust the direction my feet are pointing.

My main concern right now though is the flippy action that the unhinge move produces. And since the swing I called "foolproof swing no 4" in the last video has such better direction control and low point and overall solid contact I’m thinking I should try to combine the two. In fact, I've just been reading up on the wipe movement now, and I believe that is exactly what my philosophy behind swing no 4 is, so maybe I should call it the wipe swing from here on. I saw it more as "pushing the club" into the ball though just before extending the arms post impact. The idea behind it started when I experimented with what felt like no wrist hinge on the backswing and coming into delivery position with a more square club face, but its problems have always been a takeaway under plane and a very akward held off finish. I reckon I have enough lead arm supination at impact since I am even pulling the shots. But at the same time it's pretty clear to me that it's a lack of supination at the follow through that causes me to stall/hold off the finish. I simply run out of lead wrist extension. I suspect I need to add more supination (roll the hands over) between impact and follow through, but I can’t seem to time it. My thinking is that it should come naturally but it doesn’t. I find it very difficult to both extend the arms in front of me, and at the same time release/flip naturally in front of me. Does it make sense? Any ideas?

I would love to hear what you think about all this. I hope I’m not bogging you down with too many details here. :)

Olle

Last edited by: Olle E on May 24, 2020, 6:31 a.m., edited 4 times in total.

By: Tyler F on May 27, 2020, 8:06 a.m.

+Olle E I tell my students to describe themselves as working on a movement, instead of doing a movement. It's a subtle shift, but it can help if you feel like you're doing something but here are two images that show you haven't quite mastered the unhinge yet. Both of those images show a wrist that isn't really unhinged. Take a look at these 3 videos and see if it helps clarify the move.

https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/two-checks-ulnar-deviation/
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/unhinge-solve-flip-roll/
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/connecting-unhinge-body-rotation/

Then post a video of you doing a 9 to 3 - one hitting it easy and one hitting it hard. That way we'll know if your tendency to keep the hinge is because of the release or how you like to feel power.

PS - The last video helps you understand where the "too shallow" is coming from.

Good luck!

Tyler

By: Olle E on May 30, 2020, 3:15 a.m.

+Tyler F
Great feedback. Re-watching the videos was like “yeah, that’s me, uhu, yeah.. tick tick tick“ :) I had an aha moment right after reading your response while swinging the club in my apartment. I had tried to add the unhinge to the top of the backswing, which I think was too early. So, trying to do it a little more at delivery position now. And it definitely feels different. It feels easier doing it starting at delivery position though, or already unhinged. The hard part seems to be getting into that shallow position coming from the top of the backswing. Working on it though.

Here is the video of the 9-3’s, and the latest attempt at unhinging.

Based on ball flight at least, my whole right side is eliminated, which I guess it’s always been with the shorter irons. But I’m slowly working the ball back in on the target line. :)

By: Tyler F on June 1, 2020, 1:28 p.m.

+Olle E unhinge is looking better. So keep working on that. If you start having more contact issues, then you will be able to start moving on to working on chest rotation or the wipe (trail elbow more in front).

This unhinge piece will help you unlock a few other pieces you'll like :)

I do online lessons through skype/zoom. email me and we can set something up!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.