Left hip issue

Left hip issue  

By: Alan D on April 21, 2022, 1:43 p.m.

Hi, I am a new member and really enjoying the website and book!
I have a tendency to lose posture/early extend and forward lunge. I am working on Jackson 5, motorcycle and arm shallowing and I like the way it's going so far. But my question is more physical. I am getting soreness, when taking full swings and even 9-3s, in L hip flexor and side of glute, possibly gluteus medius. Do you think this is related to a poorly coordinated movement, or could it be just getting used to a change in movement pattern? Any advice appreciated, many thanks! Sorry the video is reversed, I am right handed.

Re: Left hip issue  

By: Tyler F on April 24, 2022, 9:02 p.m.

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the program. Glad you're enjoying it!

It would be easier to make a guess if you posted a face on video of your swing. You mentioned one in your post, but it looks like it might not have been uploaded. Post it here and we'll have a better idea of what's actually going on with your hip.

But in general, that lead side glute medius is one of the key stabilizers of the lead leg at impact. So it can become aggravated if you push the tissue too much too soon. Especially if you quickly increased the volume of reps. That said, it's unlikely that a 9-3 would put enough load to really trigger it unless it was an aggravated area that hadn't recovered from too much overuse. So the fact that the 9-3 aggravates it means that it might warrant a little treatment from a local PT, Physio, or Chiro. It's a good person to have on your team for when your body isn't cooperating. Many tour pros get treatment daily during tournaments.

If you heard the interviews after the windy players championship round, more than half of the players talked about looking forward to going to get treatment that evening. I'd suggest you get it checked out just in case. But I tend to be conservative when it comes to potential injuries. They are always easier to resolve when caught early!

Tyler

Last edited by: Tyler F on April 24, 2022, 9:02 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Alan D on April 25, 2022, 7:51 a.m.

Many thanks for the reply Tyler. I've now posted a face-on video, hope you can access it. Alan

By: Tyler F on April 25, 2022, 9:09 a.m.

Yes, it looks like the hip is fairly tight. So you're hitting end range sooner than most, which puts more stress on the glute muscles. You can get them stronger and work to improve the range of motion of the hip. You could also turn the lead foot out more, but it appears that you're already doing that a good amount.

In this little clip where I scrub back and forth, you'll see the pelvis and foot turn at the same rate, that's usually a sign that the hip is near it's end range of motion. So I'd consider getting that checked out by a Chiro or Physio.

Tyler

By: Alan D on April 25, 2022, 9:25 a.m.

Great, many thanks Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.