Jackson 5 vs. Squat/turn/push

Jackson 5 vs. Squat/turn/push  

By: Garrett F on Oct. 26, 2020, 5:01 p.m.

Seems like in the teaching community there is an emphasis on sitting, rotating, and pushing late vs. lateral first then rotation. Was curious on your opinion on this Tyler as the video library seems to focus on many different concepts with lower body rotation not being main focus. Certainly not trying to put you on the spot and say your philosophy is better/worse than others, just more curious.

Thanks

Re: Jackson 5 vs. Squat/turn/push  

By: Tyler F on Oct. 27, 2020, 9:04 p.m.

Garrett,

I don't mind being put on the spot :)

One thing I try to preach is that there is no magic feel for every golfer. Rather, what you need to focus on depends on where your swing is now and how it compares to your model. I think most instructors agree (to some degree) on the model. There is enough 3D data out there that I hear most people promote the same general ranges and relationships. But they often have completely opposite ways of getting their students into the model.

I think the squat, twist crowd typically work with higher-level junior students who have excessive slide moves than the typical 4-6 inch normal and who have better than average wrist mechanics. In my opinion, more of the rotation deficiencies are compensations for poor arm and wrist patterns. So usually, once a golfer has better arm education, then adding rotation isn't too challenging. But, if you try to add rotation with a steep club and open face (more of the higher handicap pattern) then you are asking for a world of trouble. Especially with the driver.

That's why I only have a dozen or two body rotation drills. Rotation is important. But if I try those, and they don't work, then in my experience, it's usually something else that's blocking it that needs to be trained first.

By: Garrett F on Oct. 28, 2020, 5:52 a.m.

This was a fantastic point. Seems like so much of golf teaching is a causation vs correlation discussion which can be so confusing to a student that has a knowledge gap.

Thank you for your thoughts.

By: Tyler F on Oct. 29, 2020, 8:07 p.m.

I agree with the causation and correlation thing. Hopefully, you find the answers you're looking for in my videos on this site :)

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.