Internal vs External Trail Leg

Internal vs External Trail Leg  

By: Reece M on Sept. 12, 2022, 3:22 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

Your video "Internal vs External Trail Leg" is the best thing I've seen on the subject. I'm at the extreme end of the 'Internal' pattern. I'm 26, and I'd guess my core strength and squat/deadlift/etc. ability are as good as they'll ever be. I haven't had much success integrating the 'External' pattern at any speed. I'm looking for more swing speed (currently ~105 with driver) and I'm convinced this is how I could find it. Any advice or drills?

RM

Last edited by: Reece M on Sept. 12, 2022, 3:28 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Internal vs External Trail Leg  

By: Tyler F on Sept. 13, 2022, 10:42 a.m.

Hi Reece,

Thanks for posting your swing. It's not always the easiest pattern to change, but it's definitely doable. I have a video filmed that is currently going through editing where I think I do a better job of connecting the ab/core action to the hip action. Specifically, golfers who don't use their trail side external oblique will be more likely to fall into the internal rotation category. A face on video might help rule a few other things out, but from the down the line it doesn't look like you get a lot of movement from the oblique action at the bottom of the ribcage.

Play around with this turtle shell ab idea to see if it feels very different or just subtly different to your regular swing pattern. And stay tuned in the next few weeks for a video on connecting the obliques to the trail hip. And if you get a chance, post a face on video to help move along the discussion.

Tyler

By: Reece M on Sept. 15, 2022, 4:33 p.m.

I think you're spot on. Here's a face-on attempt from today. Thanks for your insight.

Last edited by: Reece M on Nov. 7, 2022, 4:20 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Sept. 16, 2022, 1:12 p.m.

Yes, the core and the hips have a really strong direct link. If this is the picture we're trying to influence, then using the obliques, getting more of a crunch and less of a back thrust will give you a chance to have more of the external look. It will take some time for it to feel automatic, but it should make the swing feel simpler/tighter in a few weeks or less.

By: Reece M on Nov. 20, 2022, 7:12 a.m.

Hi Tyler,

Focusing on the external oblique was great for my swing. I picked up a few mph that I’d attribute to this. Working towards the external trail leg look has been difficult— it’s a completely different pattern for me. I can just now make ‘external’ 10-2 swings through my mid irons which produce a low ball that goes about a club shorter than my full swing. My pivot is changing to the extent that I feel like I’m losing my old full swing pattern and power source.

Today I had some success working on pressuring left earlier, and feeling upper body fall while trying to re-establish flex in trail knee through my heel (get to the low position of High-Low-High). Other things that have been helpful: trail leg playlist, Kwon step drills, 3x slower downswing, and learning to squat and deadlift better (despite my comment above).

Do you think I should keep chasing this look or do you see other things I should focus on? I plan to use a speed stick this winter— do I try to confine myself to a slower ‘external’ move when training?

Reece

Last edited by: Reece M on Nov. 20, 2022, 7:39 a.m., edited 6 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Nov. 22, 2022, 3:21 a.m.

I think it's helpful to identify WHY the ball is going shorter when making a swing change. Is it from different contact? Slower speed? More loft/spin? etc. If you can't figure that out, that's not the end of the world, but if you know that answer, it can help with confidence that you know you're working on the right things.

Everyone is a little different, so I'm cautious about rushing someone to move on to a complimentary piece. But I would probably start working on getting the arms a little shallower at impact. That would help with the low flight and potential to hit pull shots. It also might help with some of the distance loss if due to speed. At this point, you can test to see if you can add a secondary focus without losing the pivot training you've done.

If you're up for that, then check out the "don't break my arms" and "Moe norman arm drill". Looking at your video, I'm not sure if it's driven by the right or left arm, but it's worth investigating both.

Good work so far,

Tyler

PS - Don't worry about the squat/deadlift realization. I've had many instances I thought I was doing an exercise cleanly only to learn with training that there was a fair amount of room for improvement!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.