How my path feels when trying to fix early extension

How my path feels when trying to fix early extension  

By: Gene P on June 15, 2021, 9:34 a.m.

Hi, I've been working a bit on fixing an early extension/loss of posture move as I come into the ball (hips moving toward the ball on the downswing). I've been trying to ingrain more arm shallowing, and adjusting my posture to come into the ball on the proper plane. My normal path is very much in-to-out. My question is more of a feel question -- because I've been so used to my in-to-out swing path, will it "feel" more like I'm swinging more square-to-in (or even feel outside-to-in) if I'm practicing this swing change? Is that because my arms are shallowing but my body is way more open? It also feels like I'm more on top of the ball with my upper body if that makes sense.

Re: How my path feels when trying to fix early extension  

By: Gene P on June 15, 2021, 11:38 a.m.

Also FWIW, on video my path is still coming from the inside, so I think I'm ok. Just trying to confirm whether this different feeling is a good thing, or if there's something I should watch out for.

By: Gene P on June 15, 2021, 3:49 p.m.

This is a 3/4 swing for reference.

By: Tyler F on June 16, 2021, 9:03 a.m.

I don't see any real early extension move in that swing you posted. So if that was your main concern, then I'd say whatever you're feeling is on the right track. Some common feel descriptions when you fix early extension are:
- more "on top of it" as you described
- closer to the ground
- like you have a lot more space for your arms
- more lag
- like you swing more left or low through the exit

It sounds like you have a couple of those in your feel, so sounds, and looks, like you are on the right track with the pivot.

From the video, my only 2 concerns would be the lack of ulnar deviation during the release and I'd want to look at the follow through position from the face on. But those are more contact related than ball flight related. So if you're still grooving the anti early extension feels, I'd stick there.

Good luck!

By: Gene P on June 16, 2021, 10:20 a.m.

That is super helpful, thanks for the reply!

Yes, mostly starting with the early extension piece and getting used to the new positions. One thing I'm noticing is that I'm hitting a lot of thin and fat shots. And even when I hit the face dead center, the strike just feels a little dead -- the strike doesn't feel solid or as "spring-y" as it used to. I assumed that was just a thing where I need to practice it more, but based on your comments, would the lack of ulnar deviation be a possible culprit?

By: Gene P on June 16, 2021, 4:45 p.m.

With ulnar deviation, is it enough to have very relaxed wrists -- i.e. is ulnar deviation a result of proper rhythm and momentum of the swing? Or is it something you have to do actively with the wrists? I ask because every time I try to work on ulnar deviation, or make an active movement to unhinge, it leads to weird outcomes. I tend to get the feeling like i'm pushing on the grip at different points in the downswing, and my sequencing and timing gets off.

By: Tyler F on June 18, 2021, 9:43 a.m.

When looking to analyze solid contact, I would primarily look at the face on view. It'll show shaft lean and low point tendencies the best. If you'd like, post a face on video and we can look at why it wouldn't feel springy.

As far as the ulnar deviation, sometimes relaxed wrists is enough, sometimes it's not. I always use video to guide if my thoughts are working or not. Some people do better working on ulnar deviation by training a better follow through position, while others do better feeling it as a downswing movement. You may be more of the former type. Or, there might be higher priorities than the ulnar deviation (like the early extension you're tackling). Sometimes you have to put a pin in a concept and come back to it after cleaning up one of the other big pieces. Let's see if a need for more ulnar deviation shows up in the face on video as well.

By: Gene P on June 18, 2021, 4:28 p.m.

Thanks Tyler. I've been continuing to practice this week, and wanted to share 3 videos with you if you don't mind taking a look:

1. The first video was taken at the same time as the original down-the-line video from earlier in the thread. Again my focus was on eliminating early extension, and like I mentioned, I was able to get occasional strikes in the center of the face, but the contact felt weak. I feel like your initial hunch about ulnar deviation as a reason is correct, because I could kinda feel like I was holding onto the hinge as I was coming into impact. Hoping this face on video might shed more light on it.

2. The second video was taken the next day as I started to think about ulnar deviation and try some experiments with new feels. On this one, I tried to feel more active ulnar deviation just after transition while rotating my body through impact. The hits "felt" very solid, but I experienced what I usually feel when I try to actively unhinge down, which is I feel myself coming out of my posture again and my hips start swaying forward and tilting. On video it looks to me like I have no shaft lean either.

3. The third video was taken the following day, and here I just tried to take a more passive approach to ulnar deviation, and just let my wrists be loose. On my backswing, I tried to avoid hinging (cocking) my left wrist while still doing the motorcycle, which felt to me like "starting" with my wrists closer to an ulnar deviated position. Then from the top, I focused on bringing my elbow in front of my stomach while keeping my wrists loose. The whole swing felt much wider and the follow through felt especially wide, and I was able to keep my posture (axis tilt) without early extending. The contact felt very solid, and on video I can see more shaft lean than #2.

#3 feels like I'm on the right track, but would like your opinion on how I'm approaching ulnar deviation. I saw your video on ulnar deviation check points, but I can't quite tell if I'm getting it right. So would appreciate your view on what you see in these videos.

And yes, I'm in the witness protection program for snitching on some serious criminals, but I'm willing to risk putting these videos online in hopes that I can improve my swing.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.