Hip rise in Transition

Hip rise in Transition  

By: Mark E on June 3, 2022, 9:53 a.m.

Hi Tyler
Congratulations on your recent wedding!! I have been working on your ideas for a while now. I still have a noticeable rise and slide of the pelvis In transition. This seems to become more pronounced when I am playing and my legs get tired near the end of the round and I feel all arms and pull down. I have a very high takeaway with almost an ulnar shaft droop and at P6 my club and hands are also very high. What do you think my priorities should be? My right femur angle seems almost vertical in the backswing. Working on Dr Kwon’s rope drills seem to improve sequencing but I struggle with thoughts that straighten the right leg and raise the right hip as I already get vertical with this part of the body when I see almost all good players have a significant angle to the right femur in transition.

Thanks Mike

Last edited by: Mark E on June 3, 2022, 10 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hip rise in Transition  

By: Tyler F on June 6, 2022, 10:57 a.m.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the congratulations. It's been a wonderful, busy, couple of months so far!

Looking at your swing, it looks like hip rise in transition is part of the arm pull pattern. Your arm pull pattern looks more likely driven by the lats and big muscles rather than the triceps or smaller muscles. The arm pull pattern usually needs to improve the core driving more of the motion. I'd probably look at training delivery position with some pump and sequence drills. I'd also look at the "beat the drum" drill for feeling more core activation.

I think getting the transition more core-driven makes the loading of the glutes and core easier in the backswing. But I'd circle back to the backswing position relatively soon (maybe 1-2 weeks) so that you can combo them together. So I'd prioritize transition first, then backswing loading (femur position) second.

Good luck! Thanks again!

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.