High HC beginner, trying to get better at ground strike

High HC beginner, trying to get better at ground strike  

By: Brian W on July 2, 2022, 5:25 p.m.

Well came to this site as I am most frustrated with hitting shots fat. Love what I see so far here, and have already have better idea on the release, can others look at my video and see how to improve my ground strike and getting low point after ball? Note also I am working through beginner playlist.

Last edited by: Brian W on July 3, 2022, 3:46 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: High HC beginner, trying to get better at ground strike  

By: Tyler F on July 6, 2022, 7:25 a.m.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting your swing. One thing that has a big influence on ground contact is the amount of body rotation. It looks like your swing is more driven by your arms. Don't worry, that's a normal beginner trait. In the swing you posted, the ground contact was actually after the golf ball. So it wouldn't have been a fat shot. but what often happens with more arm-dominant swings is the ground contact can vary dramatically. With more body-dominant swings the ground contact is more consistent.

I'd start with monitoring your follow-through position. In that second picture, your hips and chest should be almost facing the target. I'd first focus on trying to get the pelvis to turn more and if that didn't work, then focus on the chest.

Good luck and happy golfing,

Tyler

By: Brian W on July 16, 2022, 5:01 a.m.

Any drill videos to recommend to work on body turn?

By: Tyler F on July 16, 2022, 9:23 a.m.

I would start with a simple 9 to 3, trying to hold the follow-through position, and see which is the bigger problem:
Is the body not turning or are the arms passing the body?

If it's the body, then I'd work on pivot drills like impact fix, merry-go-round, or rewind to impact, etc.

If it's the arms passing the body, then I'd work on arm drills like hitting with the swing extender, single arm drills, moe norman drill etc.

The 9 to 3 and then progressing to L to I should help you figure out the right course of action.

Happy Golfing,
Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.