Getting ready for spring

Getting ready for spring  

By: Scott Z on Feb. 12, 2023, 12:44 p.m.

Hello Tyler, I am starting to work on my swing again, so hopefully I can get off to a good start when spring gets here, and courses start opening back up. Where would you recommend I start . Thanks again, GSA has been a great help for my game.

Re: Getting ready for spring  

By: Tyler F on Feb. 18, 2023, 11:59 a.m.

Hi Scott,

I think there are two spots that could make sense to start, so I'd probably play around with them and see which one is the most natural. The club is a little steep at the top and in transition. it doesn't look as steep as it is because your hips are closed. But, with a chicken wing like that in the finish, I find that working on the lead arm follow through position sometimes makes the club shallow on it's own. https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/case-study-indirect-arm-shallow/

So either work on your follow through with some 9-3's, or work on delivery position with a little trail shoulder blade retraction emphasis...or both :)

Happy Golfing,
Tyler

By: Scott Z on May 27, 2023, 6:23 a.m.

Hey Tyler, I have been working on my lead arm in the follow through, to try to stop my chicken wing. I am wondering if I am on the right track? I still think I need to work on getting more shallow on the downswing. Would you agree? What video/drills should I try? Thanks again

By: Tyler F on May 27, 2023, 8:05 a.m.

Definitely on the right track, take a look at the two photos below. Arm is straighter, chest and hips are both turned much more.

As far as shallowing the downswing, I think there are two directions to try. The lead wrist gets a little cupped at the top and in transition, which could encourage more of an arm pull. So if you like backswing work/thoughts, you could try a little more trail arm straight and a more flat left wrist at the top. It would make you feel like you were ending your backswing more with your body than with your arms. Option 2, would be working on delivery position. The club would feel like it was a little more back and the hips would be a little more open. You'll see how his spine is more rotated, but his shoulders are more square (more rotated spine). I have a bunch of videos on delivery position to help you clean that up if you like that option rather than the top of the swing.

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.