Focus on the right thing(s)

Focus on the right thing(s)  

By: Kevin M on April 10, 2020, 1:46 p.m.

Hi Tyler - love your content. But I seem to have gone down the rabbit hole of fixing everything. I started because I wanted a better release and follow through. I did a lot of wipe and low point exercises. Trying to take my hands out and stop the flip I now have consistent heel shanks in the full swing. Seems reducing early extension would help not move me forward at impact. I probably always saved it with my hands before. So my question is where should I start my focus/progression because I know I can't fix everything at once. Typically early extender, club very underneath/inside and lots of arms/hands/tension. Thanks

Re: Focus on the right thing(s)  

By: Tyler F on April 12, 2020, 8:21 p.m.

+Kevin M Let's work on the hand/club location compared to address. Your handle is moving out into the golf ball too much to not hit the heel (unless you had a massive amount of ulnar deviation). Let me know if you have a hard time imaginging how to set up some type of awareness station.

Shank post https://golfsmartacademy.com/forum/golf-chatter-2/topic/shanks-for-nothing-107/
Shank Gate Drill - https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/shank-gate/
Heel Toe Tee Awareness - https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/heel-toe-club-awareness-tees/

Last edited by: Tyler F on July 2, 2022, 9:20 a.m., edited 4 times in total.

By: Kevin M on April 22, 2020, noon

+Tyler F
Just wanted to touch back to thank you both Tyler and Jules for your thoughtful analysis. I was surprised how well the concept of shaft awareness vs clubhead could help with altering the strike point. I have done many shank gate etc drills but on the course it's a little harder to apply than the "shaft inside the ball" thought.
From an internal focus it seems that having the left or lead upper arm brush or somewhat pin to the rib cage into impact helps keep the hands from moving out too much. Is this an appropriate action or just a compensation for the other issues? Additionally does the upper part of the arm rotate differently, or more than lower (elbow to hand) at impact?

By: Tyler F on April 24, 2020, 11:38 a.m.

+Kevin M Some people do better feeling the arm connection you're describing. I think that's a fine feel. More of the rotation through the release comes from the lower arm than the upper arm. There are exceptions (like Jon Rahm) but the forearm seems to do more of the lead arm rotation for most.

By: Jules C on April 12, 2020, 5:40 p.m.

Hi-
I'd be interested in what Tyler says. My thoughts are as follows. You have a lot of upper body lunge in your second video side view. See pictures captured below. you also have your hands way behind your trail hip at delivery position. And way past post impact you still have your head down which prevents the right side from getting into impact and in my experience leads to a flip post impact rather than the release you want as a result of the wipe, which would be to have both arms extended, rotated body and club head appearing to the right of your body as the club handle disappears left. So I think you have a transition problem (upper body lunge), a release problem (an incomplete ulner deviation and a failure to get your trail elbow in front of your trail hip) and a post impact problem (your head down for way too long stiffling rotation leading to post impact flip and odd exit
Where to begin? My suggestion is start with release and post impact. As for release I would start with the drill Presetting the Unhinge. I would also pay attention to Tyler's turning his chin in sync with his sternum. This really helps get through the shot, get the right side into the shot and the proper position at the end of the wipe.
I see that Tyler has focused directly on your concern about shanking and I certainly understand that. On the other hand, i understood you to be complaining that the shanks were a result of steps you have taken to improve your release and eliminate early extension, so I focused on aspects of those issues because I still see signs of the problems you were originally trying to deal with.

Last edited by: Jules C on April 12, 2020, 9:51 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: John J on June 26, 2022, 10:23 a.m.

Pls post the videos that goes with this thread. Thx

By: Tyler F on July 2, 2022, 9:20 a.m.

I reposted the video I created for Kevin. I hope it helps!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.