First Steps?

First Steps?  

By: Lawrence A on June 21, 2022, 11:16 a.m.

Hi Tyler - longtime lurker, first time caller. Hoping to become a frequent flyer! I've been in the desert the last six months and things have completely broken down to the point that I am having trouble making contact with the golf ball. Here's some relevant information that may be helpful to you...

Ball flight: when struck well, very straight
Miss: two ways, with more going low right when it's very bad
Strike area: recently towards the heel
Low point control: quite poor - tend to hit it fat
Desired shape: anything functional, but a draw would be nice
Swing thought: Ive been told that I am a puller/caster/shoulder spinner. Keeping the back to the target is a good thought for me.
Other notes: I'm pretty sure I've developed a great fly fishing motion. I'm a rhythm player and absolutely feel my best when I've stuck to a consistent rhythm. When I'm not playing well, I get stuck over the ball and have trouble pulling the trigger. I should note that on a 9-3 I can get pretty good contact with a usually straight ball flight with sometimes a little draw spin. Once I move to an L to L, things break down.

Three videos for you. First is front on, second is DTL with a hips/core first approach, and third is a back to target thought.
1. https://youtube.com/shorts/Psb7EcUOAuo?feature=share
2. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oPYL4n0fo58
3. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/P6Ps0K-Od3k

Last edited by: Lawrence A on June 21, 2022, 1:20 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

Re: First Steps?  

By: Tyler F on June 23, 2022, 1:20 p.m.

Hi Lawrence,

The first post is always the hardest. I think you have some good elements to build upon. If it were me, and I wasn't pressed for an upcoming tournament or something, then I would probably focus on the release. Your low point issues, and your pull miss pattern, is mostly coming from the arm motion being more flippy down at the bottom. What rhythm do you get if you use something like the swing extender?

Is it slower and longer or something?

Can you post a 9 to 3 to see if it's a different pattern or just easier to time the current pattern with less speed?

As for the DTL. I definitely like the back-to-the-target longer idea for you. It looks like the hips first thought causes you to get steep in the downswing. So perhaps the breakdown from the full swing is the power source causing the swing to get steep and the resultant flip to shallow it out late.

PS - The youtube videos aren't the easiest for scrubbing back and forth, so I might have missed some details. I'd recommend uploading them with your post next time.

Happy golfing,

Tyler

By: Lawrence A on June 23, 2022, 5:14 p.m.

Thanks, Tyler!

I’ve never used anything like the extender. I do know that when I’m asked to feel as if the right arm doesn’t collapse, it feels like I don’t know how to generate speed, and face control goes all out the window. I’ll grab a floaty and experiment some and get more detailed feedback for you, as well as a 9-3!

Re: videos - I’ve uploaded them here!

By: Tyler F on June 28, 2022, 10:38 a.m.

Hi Lawrence,

I'd say that this video is a bit longer than a 9 to 3. The first picture I took is where the end of the backswing should be, the second picture is where you actually stop. It's more like a full swing. Maybe you need to use a tripod and pool noodle to give yourself a reference to help you be able to stop short. But with that length swing, it doesn't really give us the chance to analyze our first question of what happens between the 9 to 3 and l to l. Let's try one more version and see if you can do a 9 to 3 and an l to l or 10 to 2.

PS - I think you hit it better in a 9 to 3 (your 9 to 3 which isn't shorter, but maybe smoother) from swinging easier, which helps the timing, but with the length of your swing, it doesn't reflect how the power source changes.

Best,

Tyler

By: Lawrence A on June 28, 2022, 11:13 a.m.

A bit of a miss cue there; the most recent vids were the same as in the first post, just uploaded for easier scrubbing - haha!

Ive been out of town since the first post and haven’t had an opportunity to get a 9-3. Just got home, will upload that later this evening!

By: Lawrence A on June 29, 2022, 6:09 a.m.

9-3’s as requested.

By: Tyler F on July 2, 2022, 9:07 a.m.

No worries, it happens to the best of us!

With your 9-3, you're hitting it more like a chip shot than like a mini full swing. If you look at your impact position, your body is completely facing the golf ball, which is similar to what we see with your full swing. So, I'd work on getting a 9 to 3 where impact looks more like the impact position you want:
Trail arm bent, side bend and rotation etc.
I think you'll end up feeling very different power source for your 9 to 3.
You'll also feel like the club is way behind you instead of in front of you.

I hope that helps,

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

By: Lawrence A on July 8, 2022, 12:43 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

Been working toward a better 9-3. Should these include any trail wrist extension? Here’s the latest video.

By: Tyler F on July 16, 2022, 9:48 a.m.

It's a little blurry on the video, but it looks like you have some decent trail wrist extension. Can you do an impact fix drill, and then follow it up immediately with a 9 to 3? I'd still like to see more separation from your hips and torso (check out the presetting spine rotation video). As well as more trail shoulder lower at impact.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.