Early release?

Early release?  

By: Eugene M on April 24, 2020, 10:43 a.m.

I'm new to The Golf Smart Academy and thought I'd pick your brains about my swing. We are in lockdown in MD fighting the Corona Virusso I'm working out of my garage. I tend to hit the ball with a lot of loft and I don't think I get the distance I should. What drills would you prescribe for this swing?
Thanks in advance

Re: Early release?  

By: Tyler F on April 27, 2020, 10:51 a.m.

+Eugene M Check out the video response. I'd try either of these two videos to help with your loft training/release.

https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/swing-extender-shaft-rotation/
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/single-arm-releases-with-a-club/

Last edited by: Tyler F on May 9, 2020, 7:43 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Eugene M on May 3, 2020, 7:02 p.m.

Thanks for the help. This is a great service. I have a couple of questions. You said something about needing more "width at the top". What does that refer to? And I don't understand the pulling down part either. But I see what you mean about my trailing elbow.

By: Tyler F on May 11, 2020, 6:27 a.m.

+Eugene M Sorry for the delay, went back to teaching this week and had to relearn a schedule.

Width at the top referring to the amount of bend in the right arm. https://golfsmartacademy.com/forum/golf-chatter-2/topic/trail-arm-width-with-a-band-93/

Pulling down refers to the direction you're using your body against the club. This video helps explain that idea - https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/med-ball-slam-vs-side-arm-throw-power-sources/

By: Eugene M on Sept. 25, 2020, 11:28 a.m.

I've been working with a Golftec coach, and he has focused on my backswing and lower body, especially keeping my right heel down till I contact the ball. I used to cave my right knee toward the ball in the downswing, not straighten it. (see earlier posting) We haven't addressed my casting/flip delivery yet because he said you have to fix the other things first. Is there an order of how you fix someone's swing? Backswing first, then lower body, then sequence? Thought I'd pick your brain about where to go from here (Golftec is getting expensive!). Thanks in advance.

By: Tyler F on Sept. 27, 2020, 9:23 a.m.

Way to put me in a tough spot ;)

My philosophy is to work on golf the way I would teach any other sport. I'd start with set up/grip etc, and then I'd work on the goal of the swing. So I usually teach in this rough order: set up, impact, follow-through, backswing.

But there has to have some flexibility in the system. Last week I had a complete beginner who had almost a foot of sway off the ball in his backswing. We had to work on that first. But as soon as that was "good enough", we moved on to getting into a good follow-through position.

One of my other philosophies is that you can't perfect one part of the swing if there are big deficiencies in another. They all work together. So that's part of the iterative idea of why it's best to learn the swing in layers. The art of teaching this game is knowing when to move on from one area and focus on another.

If it were me, I would probably focus on these two positions.

By: Eugene M on April 10, 2021, 9:30 a.m.

I’ve been working on things. How is it looking now?

By: Tyler F on April 18, 2021, 10:31 a.m.

Making some progress with the impact position. If it's feeling a little steep on the course then check the delivery position that relates to impact. It looks like your upper body might be lunging a little past the ball early to help get shaft lean. It doesn't look dramatic, but I'd keep an eye on that. It relates to why it's still a little scoopy. I think it's definitely moving in the right direction though. Good luck!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.