Early extension

Early extension  

By: William P on March 12, 2022, 5:06 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

Hoping you can help point me in the right direction regarding fixing my early extension. Videos attached.

I've played golf my whole life, but over the past few years have made more of a concerted effort to improve. I continue to struggle with finding the center of the face with my irons (and woods for that matter), and I think a big part of that is my early extension and loss of spine angle at impact. I've tried quite a bit over the past few years to fix my early extension and have only made marginal improvement.

No matter what I try it seems I can't help but to allow my right hip to go towards the ball right when I start down from the top. I also always seem to allow my left hip/knee to "wash out" right at impact. Thoughts on root cause and what specific drills to work on?

Thanks in advance, appreciate all the great videos.

Re: Early extension  

By: Tyler F on March 13, 2022, 10:23 a.m.

To me, it looks more like a release-driven early extension rather than a transition-driven early extension. Can you make solid contact on a 9-3 without early extending?
The way I would tackle this is by using an early extension barrier between yourself and the ball. (see monitoring trail knee for EE or reach over the fence). I'll use a water bottle, or a PVC contraption I have at the studio to help keep that space (like the attached picture but in between the toes). Then I would try to do 9-3's without moving in closer to the ball (use video and share here so we can correct it). If all looks good on the 9-3, then we can circle back to working on how to get into that position with speed.

I think the reason you haven't made progress with it in the past is if you're only focusing on the transition part of it rather than the release part of it.

By: William P on March 13, 2022, 7:22 p.m.

Thanks for the reply, Tyler.

To your question, yes I can make solid contact with a 9-3 or even a 10-2. In fact when I'm playing I often find myself hitting 10-2 knockdowns with my irons to improve accuracy/contact. The EE really becomes a problem when I try to add speed.

I will get you some videos this week of 9-3.

By: Tyler F on March 13, 2022, 9:10 p.m.

Great! I have a couple of different ideas depending on what shows up in the 9-3 or 10-2. If you really want to help me tease out if it's from effort or length of swing, then do a regular 9-3 as well as a 9-3 trying to hit it fairly far. That could be really useful for getting to the bottom of it quicker.
I look forward to helping you solve your EE issue. Post the swings when you can.

Tyler

By: William P on March 16, 2022, 3:42 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

I have the 9-3 videos as requested. I'm going to upload 4 pairs of videos in sequential replies so I can label them and not get confused. The 4 pairs will be:
1) easy 9-3
2) 9-3 with more speed
3) full swing trying to monitor trail knee
4) full swing just going at it

Looking forward to what you think!

By: William P on March 16, 2022, 3:43 p.m.

easy 9-3

By: William P on March 16, 2022, 3:44 p.m.

9-3 with more speed

By: William P on March 16, 2022, 3:45 p.m.

full swing trying to monitor trail knee

By: William P on March 16, 2022, 3:46 p.m.

full swing just going at it

By: Tyler F on March 17, 2022, 8:48 p.m.

On this 9-3, there's still a good amount of early extension. So I'd start there. Figure out how to do a 9-3 without early extension. My recommendation is the monitor trail knee station while doing 9-3's. See the comments below that video.

As far as the 9-3, see the attached photos. Your 9-3 is more like a 10 to 2. Having a hard time making a shorter swing is a sign that you're overloading the arm pull. That arm pull is a steepener and balanced by the shallower of early extension. So make sure to monitor the length of the swing as you're doing the trail knee station.

By: Tyler F on March 17, 2022, 8:54 p.m.

Monitoring trail knee is a station, not a feel. So you'll have to set up a station to get proper feedback, because you still early extended with the idea of monitoring the trail knee.

To set up the station indoors, use either some PVC or a water bottle. See the clips for your homework station. When you practice, try to move away from the barrier during the downswing. As you get a feeling, add more speed, but start slow and short.

By: William P on March 18, 2022, 6:38 p.m.

Got it, I'll start working with a trail knee station. Thanks!

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2022, 1:16 p.m.

How's the progress going?

By: William P on March 26, 2022, 9:57 a.m.

Hi Tyler,

I haven't had much time lately to work on this, but the bit that I did was helped with the trail knee station. I'll keep you updated, should have more time in the next few weeks.

One thing I wanted to follow-up on was when you mentioned that my EE might be "release-driven". Do you think this is the case (or at least in part?) I ask because I feel like I can get in all the right positions without a ball in front of me, but when it comes time to actually make contact I find my old habits taking over in an effort to actually make contact.

To this point, is there any club delivery or release drill I could pair with the trail knee station to help?

Thanks--

By: Tyler F on April 4, 2022, 7:51 p.m.

Hi William,

Yes, I think that because you early extend on the 9-3 as much as you do that your release pattern and either ground contact or club face control pattern is currently tied to your body standing up through impact. So i'd expect that if you actually stay down you'd either hit fat shots, or very far outside in. That's the puzzle that I think you have to solve.

To decode it, you'll want to do some 9 to 3's and see which changes more, the contact location or the transition path of the club. That will help you determine which drill will likely help you the most. Either something related to the path, or something related to the wipe, or both. Feel free to post updates as you work through it.

Tyler

By: William P on April 12, 2022, 6:33 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

I've been able to put in some work monitoring the trail knee and it's definitely helping. To the earlier discussion, when I stay down it seems that I consistently get a closed face (negative face angle on the TrackMan) and the ball starts on line but then draws/hooks.

I'm uploading videos of a 10-2 where I do a better job not early extending (I think?) and get a negative face angle. FYI the alignment rod doesn't look straight down the line in the video, but it is (weird camera angle).

Thoughts on where to go from here and what to add to monitoring the trail knee?

Thanks--

By: Tyler F on April 17, 2022, 12:39 p.m.

Definitely improving on the early extension piece. Looks like the left will be fixed by getting the hands more forward but with a bit of ulnar deviation. Hands forward and up is a good thought. Both hands forward and hands up are a face opener. Hands forward steepens things, hands up shallows them out. So it has a good blended feel.

I mention the hand position in this video, but don't stress it as much as it is warranted.

https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/impact-fix1/

I think that will be a good complement to your early extension station.

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.