driver should be more efficient - farther?

driver should be more efficient - farther?  

By: Andrej T on May 7, 2022, 3:07 a.m.

Hi,
I have been struggling with my driver. My ball speed is above 150mph however I can't get it to go past 210m (230yards) on a regular basis.
Usual shot pattern is a fade-to-slice - trying to hit a draw, working on motorcycle move. Trying to hit up on it too - currently angle of attack is around 2.
Looking at my videos I feel my lower body weight shift seems out of sync maybe?
What should I be looking for in the videos? What can I work on?
Thanks for feedback :)
Cheers,
Andrej

Re: driver should be more efficient - farther?  

By: Tyler F on May 8, 2022, 6:38 a.m.

Hi Andrej,

The three main influences for distance are ball speed, launch angle, spin rate. That first picture shows a lot of shaft lean for a driver. You'll want to have the shaft more vertical at impact (more similar to the picture of Rory). With that much shaft lean, if you did have the club face less open (so that the ball didn't fade) then you would have almost no loft and hit it even lower. So I would address the shaft lean first. Moving the shaft backward, all things being equal, should help close the clubface as well.

Also, as far as the motorcycle, looking at your swing, you get the clubface in a pretty good position at shaft parallel in the downswing, but then in that picture about a foot before impact, it's more open relatively. So your release appears to be preventing some twisting of the club as well as creating too much shaft lean. So I think you need more work on the release side of clubface vs doing a lot more motorcycle in transition.

Monitor that shaft lean with a station (pool noodle) or video and it should help get the launch up.

By: Andrej T on May 9, 2022, 12:31 a.m.

Hey Tyler,
great, thank you for your feedback. Will work on that shaft lean.
Do you maybe have a video or picture for the pool noodle setup?
Thanks again,
Andrej

By: Tyler F on May 16, 2022, 6:34 p.m.

I can take a picture tomorrow, but basically a pool noodle in line with the golf ball to help give you a visual of where the hands need to be at contact. Right now, you'd pass the pool noodle well before impact.

By: Tyler F on May 19, 2022, 9 a.m.

Here's a quick little video. I just have a pool noodle or alignment stick in line with the golf ball so that I can see where my hands need to be at impact. Could help with the timing of the release.

By: Andrej T on May 19, 2022, 9:56 a.m.

awesome, thank you - will try it. thanks :)

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.