Driver help

Driver help  

By: Scott Z on Oct. 14, 2022, 3:24 a.m.

Hello Tyler,
I am struggling with a strong fade/slice with the driver. I noticed that I had heel impact on this swing, which I confirmed using foot spray. I am able to correct that by setting up with the toe more centered on the ball. I then figured that since the ball starts straight then goes right, my club face is open to the path. I have started working more on the motorcycle to fix that. Am I on the right track?
A second question is what does getting stuck on the downswing mean, and is that happening in my swing? Thanks for the help

Re: Driver help  

By: Tyler F on Oct. 15, 2022, 5:33 a.m.

Hi Scott,

I like the thought process. You're thinking through the problem correctly. Looking at the down-the-line snapshot looks like the face is open near shaft parallel, so some motorcycle could help (pic one).

2 other factors to consider for just the driver. One. A lot of people struggle with an open driver face because of the ball position getting too far back. The face-on camera angle doesn't look like it's perfectly square to the stick. So I think some of the ball position is fake. But that is one thing to consider. Two. Steep early, shallow late is a big cause of getting the face open and hitting a push start line. You might be flirting with that pattern. That pattern just makes the face closing harder down at the bottom with the longer clubs. So if the motorcycle doesn't totally fix it, then I'd look at some top-of-swing/transition shallowness training.

Getting stuck means the body is in the way of the arms. Usually, because the body has moved into the golf ball and the trail arm is behind the body with nowhere to go. It usually leads to late side bend or early extension. You could be a little on the stuck side (see my steep early, shallow late comment).

So I'd work on ball position and motorcycle and if that doesn't totally get it, then I'd look at arm shallowing (getting stuck).

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.