Cant stop flipping

Cant stop flipping  

By: Daniel H on June 13, 2022, 4:40 p.m.

Tyler,

I love the website and the idea of being my own coach... Even after watching tons of videos and trying to "practice" shaft lean with the drills I still suffer from early extension and am extremely flippy at contact.
Video1
Though I've tried them all, I've been mostly concentrating on some short swings and the delivery and go drills, but can't seem to make any headway breaking my habit...
My delivery and go's still seem a bit scoopy through contact, but I am not sure where I am going wrong. And nothing translates as I make the swing longer and faster.
Video2
I have had some luck with a better impact position with a shaft extension, but as soon as I take it away, I'm back to flipping.
Video3
Even though I know better, a short 9-3 or 10-2 is still very flippy through contact.
Video4

Ugh... Clearly I am a terrible coach! Can you help with this? I would really like to improve. My own analysis just isnt working...

Thanks for your time.

Dan

Re: Cant stop flipping  

By: Tyler F on June 16, 2022, 8:11 a.m.

Hi Dan,

I agree that the shaft extender is the best. Let's look at why. See the attached pictures.

In your swing, it looks like you have a pretty strong pull of the left arm inward and the hands give the appearance of flipping. I'm guessing if we looked at DTL, we would also see the right shoulder quite high at that point. I think you need to look at the left arm high/don't break my arms/Moe Norman idea. If you look at the lead arm in your impact pictures, you'll see how much more space there is between the left arm and the body. That's helpful for fixing the flip

I'd be curious to see your lead and trail arm only drills. I think the lead arm could be really helpful for you to train it to feel more of a lift and space rather than a tight connection.

Either post a DTL or lead arm only and we can add a little more detail

Tyler

Last edited by: Tyler F on June 16, 2022, 8:12 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Daniel H on June 16, 2022, 9:37 a.m.

Thanks for the comments. I am very right dominant and my left arm feels pretty useless.
I have a very hard time with the single lead arm drill. Maybe 1 in 10 look even reasonable.
Should I concentrate on that drill til it is more consistent?

Here is my down the line. Clearly some issues.

Despite my obvious swing challenges, I think I also dont know how to practice.
I do some drills but when I work back to a full swing, I find I have too many
corrections in my head and just end up swinging the way I always have.

Thanks again.
Dan

By: Tyler F on June 20, 2022, 7:31 p.m.

Hi Daniel,

I think since you have a practice net at home, I'd put in some reps with the left arm-only drill. Maybe 10-15 minutes per session for a couple of weeks.

Looking at the full swing you've posted, that left arm pulling looks to be a bigger issue than the trail arm throw. I'd be interested to see your lead and trail arm only to confirm. I don't think your left arm has to be great, but it can't be sabotaging your trail arm.

As far as practicing, when you get a feel and try it with your full swing. When you do, you want to stick with the same thought for a number of reps to test it out. Don't worry, learning how to practice isn't easy. Many people have a hard time with quality practice. I'll be covering that more in the upcoming "Playing Smart Golf" program. But that's not going to be finished for a while. So in the meantime, your goal is to build a pattern and a script you use. Like calling a play in football. When you call the play you want to have an idea of what's going to happen. In this case, you want to have an idea of your pattern. Then when you play golf, you're trying to execute the script and play your pattern.

So the drills give you experience, and better technique, to help you build your script for each shot. Then executing that shot with the same script helps improves the consistency and dispersion of your pattern. I hope that helps,

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

By: Daniel H on July 5, 2022, 8:53 a.m.

Thanks Tyler. As you suggested, I've been starting every practice with some single arm and 9-3s concentrating on the lead arm. Definite improvements in those drills over the past couple weeks, though I still find it hard to have things trickle into the full swing, but it looks to be improving and at least I feel like my ball striking is more reliable. I also have been doing the ping pong paddle release training which may be helping (a little) to break my inclination to flip my wrist at contact...

I appreciate the advice and will take any comments on things to concentrate on after you see the videos.

Thanks again.

Dan
Video 1 - Lead arm
Video 2 - Trail arm
Video 3 - 9-3
Video 4 - Full swing

By: Tyler F on July 16, 2022, 9:41 a.m.

Your single-arm drills are definitely revealing. Take a look at the screenshots. The trail arm looks really good and the lead arm could use some work. Basically, try and match the body position for the trail arm. If you look at the lead arm only, notice how level your shoulder turn is compared to the trail arm. See if you can get more shoulder tilt with the lead arm. I think that will help the 9 to 3 and full swing release as well.

Click here to start your free 3 day trial. No credit card required.