Video answers to your pressing questions

Video answers to your pressing questions  

By: Tyler F on March 19, 2020, 11:30 a.m.

Hey Golfers,

I want to help answer your questions while stuck at my home office. Comment below, or start a new thread. Let's take advantage and learn together!

Last edited by: Tyler F on Aug. 17, 2021, 9:25 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Video answers to your pressing questions  

By: Ed C on March 19, 2020, 10:06 p.m.

+Tyler F

I have been finding it fun to use the downtime to review old rounds to find areas of improvement and to build better course management strategies for future rounds.

I have some very general fitness questions, but figure who better to ask:

- What would you recommend for the everyday working-stiff person: Yoga, Pilates, or ELDOA?
- Do these different forms of exercise provide drastically different benefits for the body, or is there a lot of overlap?
- For those of us who simply want to stay in reasonable shape and have an (online) assessment done to create a golf-specific workout, would you have any recommendations for where to turn to?

Last edited by: Ed C on March 19, 2020, 10:17 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

By: Tyler F on March 20, 2020, 5:14 p.m.

+Ed C
Fitness is a whole can of worms. But here's the video I reference in your response.

https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/analytic-warm-up/
I do a version of this before every activity. I commonly do pieces of it throughout the day to keep my body moving well.

Last edited by: Tyler F on Aug. 17, 2021, 9:24 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Ed C on March 21, 2020, 2:06 p.m.

+Tyler F

I love the analytic warm-up. Nearly every time I do it on the driving range, invariably I'll see one or two other golfers stop hitting balls and start stretching. I figure better to mind my own business than engage in a nerdy discussion about stretching vs. warming up. =/

By: Barry C on March 22, 2020, 1:57 p.m.

+Tyler F
Any suggestions on how to repair drywall, thinned a wedge in the house. :)

Stay healthy golfers!

Barry

By: Tyler F on March 24, 2020, 10:36 a.m.

+Barry C You'll see that I keep a cushion or laundry basket with a towel as a target. Prevention is easier than the repair 😕

By: Lani H on March 19, 2020, 1:36 p.m.

Hi Tyler
Are you going crazy yet? I am. Yesterday was particularly brutal since it was raining as well...

I'm not sure this is pressing but if you're bored, you can answer it.

As you know, I am working through initiating my swing with my legs and not my arms. I feel like it is getting better but only if I really, really concentrate on every swing or should I say fake swing since I don't have a place to hit balls :(.... I'm also trying to train using my body for power and not my arms.

You have a drill on your site called "Towel Pulls - Feeling Body Power in Transition". In that video, you refer to using a band attached to a door since I don't have a friend to hold the towel. So I took my band, attached it to a door and proceeded to try to wrap it like you did with your sweatshirt but all I managed to do was wrap it around my neck :D....So..clearly I am doing something wrong or maybe I'm just too short and should lower the band.

Anyway...off to walk the dog.

Cheers
Lani

By: Tyler F on March 20, 2020, 5:15 p.m.

+Lani H
Here's my guess at clarifying what might be going wrong.

Last edited by: Tyler F on Aug. 17, 2021, 9:18 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Lani H on March 20, 2020, 5:27 p.m.

+Tyler F
Hi Tyler
I just tried it and it works! Good news, I didn't decapitate myself and I can really feel my lower body working first. Thanks for the clarification. You're the best!
Thanks
Stay well!
Lani

By: Tyler F on March 20, 2020, 6:41 p.m.

+Lani H Glad we cleared it up with only one try. Good luck on your project. I can't wait until we can get back to work in a normal fashion. Hopefully sooner than later :)

By: Lani H on March 20, 2020, 7:01 p.m.

+Tyler F
You and me both!
Cheers

By: Nick W on March 19, 2020, 4:25 p.m.

Hello All,
I’ve primarily been practicing with my R Motion sensor, which allows me to play simulated rounds and get pretty accurate data on club path, face angle, swing speed and launch angle. It’s a dangerous proposition I know, but I’ve been trying to get my R Motion metrics to match the PGA Tour average TrackMan starts.

I’ve also been doing all the drills Tyler recommended from my last video lesson.

I’m also getting some putting and wedge practice in,

From a fitness standpoint, I’ve switched from my heavy lifting routine to a vertical jumping program as well as mobility. The gym closed when I was getting so close to reaching some of my strength goals!

Because there is literally nothing else to do, I’m practicing more now than I would have otherwise.

Nick

By: Tyler F on March 20, 2020, 5:18 p.m.

+Nick W Sounds like you're touching on the major pieces for improvement. Way to turn being stuck at home into a golf focussed mini-camp :)

Dr. Stuart McGill's ideal impact position  

By: Brian M on March 20, 2020, 8:01 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

I'm not sure how much you know about Dr. McGill's recommendations about where your body should be positioned at impact to reduce back stress, but if you do, can you post a video explaining his recommendation. I believe it has to do with where your body should be pointed at impact (my interpretation is straight at the ball) combined with no side crunch. If this is true, wouldn't that position shorten the Como flat spot?

Thanks.

Brian McDonald

By: Tyler F on March 21, 2020, noon

+Brian M I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other specific questions!

Last edited by: Tyler F on Aug. 17, 2021, 9:21 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Stuart McGill's ideal impact position  

By: Brian M on March 21, 2020, 12:11 p.m.

Thanks Tyler.

Great answer. I was trying to make sense of his recommendations but thought they were contrary to most golf teachings. I think focusing on flexibility to ensure I don't get too close to my end range of motion will be my focus.

Brian

By: Ed C on April 15, 2020, 1:47 p.m.

Okay Tyler, here is a really specific question:

Do you have any guidance for how I could maintain proper low point control & a flat spot with driver while re-introducing SuperSpeed golf into a training regimen?

Two years ago, I used to train with SuperSpeed, and while speed and distance did increase, I got into bad habits and completely lost low point control until I came across GSA and built up better fundamentals. If your guidance for me in particular is - don't train with SuperSpeed - that's good to know as well. Thx!

Last edited by: Ed C on April 15, 2020, 1:48 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on April 17, 2020, 10:17 a.m.

+Ed C
Here is my take on super speed. If you train speed out toward the target, instead of at the ball. It can be beneficial. Also, the shape of the club is different. The super-speed sticks train you to speed up the hosel, not the sweet spot.

If you are doing true speed training, you should expect to lose some low point a bit. The key is to have the skills to follow up and do low point training so that you get contact back quickly.

The specific danger for you is that you might lose the posture late in the swing in an attempt to get extra speed, so contrary to normal speed training theory, i'd use video to monitor and make sure you are not falling int your release early extension pattern.

By: John J on Aug. 17, 2021, 11:22 a.m.

Tyler....these videos aren't showing up? Thx

By: Tyler F on Aug. 19, 2021, 5:18 a.m.

Videos should be back up now. Let me know if you find any others that are missing!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.