Speeding Up Your Preshot Routine

Speeding Up Your Preshot Routine  

By: Tyler F on Sept. 29, 2021, 6:57 a.m.

Hey Golfers,

I had the following question come in...

"I have ADHD which makes it a fine line between getting myself to focus adequately enough and overdoing it which then I’m not allowing the subconscious to let it take over. I know my current routine takes too long and is affecting my maintaining any kind of round flow. I can hit outstanding shots then a complete dud out of nowhere (probably related to not getting into the right state) on a shot like a wedge approach or the tee shot right after a birdie. However, feeling "rushed" makes me completely uncomfortable. I know putting can be different but my best putting is putting to a hole in my minds eye. I’m sure I’m a feel player but definitely have some visual learning in there as well.

Currently my routine is getting to the ball, zapping a yardage, pulling out my yardage book to select the club, and type of shot. - 35 - 40 seconds

Visualizing the shot I want to hit and getting an aim line usually up at a tree or part of a tree. ~ 10 seconds

Really trying to feel the shot I’m ‘about to hit, including ball strike, body awareness, divot..etc. I try to make the swing in a smooth fashion and brushing the ground. Usually 2 or 3 swings ~ 30-35 seconds

Step back to look down the line for the ground to the target and then approach the ball to swing. A waggle or two, and a glance at the target, stillness then swing ~ 25 seconds

All told it takes around 1:40 to 1:50 usually"

Below is a video and some thoughts.

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

Re: Speeding Up Your Preshot Routine  

By: Tyler F on Sept. 29, 2021, 7:06 a.m.

The places I see room for improvement speed-wise.

Step 1: Zapping a yardage and choosing a stock shot should take less than 20 seconds. Unless you are a low handicap, you probably want to be hitting the closest stock comfortable shot as much as possible. So this process should really be, "zap a number, adjust the number to wind/slope, carry vs roll, then pick a club"

Step 2: Visualizing the shot I want to hit and getting an aim line usually up at a tree or part of a tree. ~ 10 seconds
-->I would save aiming for part of the execution process. So this seems out of place.

Step 3: Really trying to feel the shot I’m ‘about to hit, including ball strike, body awareness, divot..etc. I try to make the swing in a smooth fashion and brushing the ground. Usually 2 or 3 swings ~ 30-35 seconds
-->2-3 swings shouldn't take 30-35 seconds. The swing takes 1.5 seconds, so that means you're waiting 10 seconds in between swings? Something doesn't add up here.

Step 4: Step back to look down the line for the ground to the target and then approach the ball to swing. A waggle or two, and a glance at the target, stillness then swing ~ 25 seconds
-->This is slightly on the high side, but not excessive

If you can do the last practice drill I suggest in the video and hit it well there, then it really means you need to get more comfortable committing to your shot quicker.

Last point, if you're really slow and changing any of this messes you up, then you have to make up time elsewhere. Learn to get to your shot faster so that you can start this process while other players are still walking.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.