Shaft lean

Shaft lean  

By: Guy K on Jan. 6, 2024, 6:48 a.m.

Tyler,
In your book and your isolated club movement video, you show that shaft lean from address opens or closes the face depending on whether you have forward or backward lean. A few folks I know claim that this will not open/close the face unless you are somehow twisting the club. Suggested setting club up against a wall and sliding forward. I did that with a 4i and the face still opened. I set up my putter, old ping anser, leaning it against the edge of a rectangular bar stool and slid it so I could be behind the club and above - face opens and logo on grip never twists. One person went so far as making a video and contorting their upper body while leaning the shaft claiming the face stays square - I zoomed in on my 23' Mac and used my iPhone level app to measure the face - 2* open at setup and then opens to 6* and as hands past the lead thigh the toe twists shut to 0* Not compelling video evidence. You, in the isolated club movement video, make more of a golf turn when you lean the shaft then this person did - if they swung like they leaned the shaft they would be lucky to have a cap below 30.

To the point do you have any 3 D date supporting this movement? Or other ways to demonstrate the face opens/closes?

I found this Instagram clip where the instructor holds the club in front of them while standing straight up and using lead hand only pushes the handle to the lead side - club opens and he demos a slight twist to then square it.
Starts at end of first video but meat of demo is at start of second video in multi tab Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVWA19BN4zY/?utm_medium=copy_link&img_index=1

A real golf nerd discussion, lol. I imagine there exists plenty of folks that don't believe the face opens. Haven't discussed lowering and raising the handle but if they are consistent they likely would claim the face stays square too. Also the scoop/flip to compensate for an open face effectively causes a vertical shaft or backward lean at impact - so if shaft lean didn't change the face angle why would this compensation movement need to happen (rhetorical).

All this and maybe there is a chance they are correct - but I have given it a good shots and did as was suggested but still get open/close and don't see any handle twist - I'm moving the handle with my thumb and index finger when I slide it so really unlikely I am doing a twist and my grips have front facing logos as a marker.

Whew.
Thanks, guy

Re: Shaft lean  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 8, 2024, 7:59 p.m.

Hi Guy,

Great question. My 3D data that supports it comes from the wrist graphs and the axial velocity graph. The club is twisting closed fairly quickly at impact and the wrists are typically 20 to 30 degrees more flexed/extended at impact. One way to think about it. As the club moves along the arc from the top of the swing to the finish, the club also twists and points more closed. So if you hit it earlier in the arc, that less twisting has taken place. So if hands forward is the same as hitting it earlier in the arc, then the face had to be more open. This is pure mechanics and less about the anatomy of how the handle moves forward or backward.

This is a nerdy topic, but one that might help create some peace of mind for you :)

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

By: Guy K on Jan. 9, 2024, 5:57 a.m.

Thanks. So when you demo leaning a club from address position and the face opens have to taken any 3 d measurements of the face angle and handle to see how much the face opens and that the handle doesn't twist? Folks are claiming the only reason the face would open is if when you lean it you twist the handle, thus the put it against the wall and drag it, etc.
You demo leaning from address in the isolated club movement video and it appears that the further you lean it , you give it a slight twist - but it looks to have opened prior to that time. This is similar to lowering/raising the handle causing the face to close/open - thankfully no debate on this one yet, lol. However I do it and with whatever club when I drag the club aunts the wall, lean it on the edge of a bar stool, etc - I do get it to open without the logo on the grip showing any signs of a twist.

An example using a putter

By: Tyler F on Jan. 9, 2024, 8:58 a.m.

Hi Guy, here's a quick answer video. Hope it helps. But let me know if it's still not clear, or if you have any follow up questions, and I'll make it more clear when I film a full video in a few weeks.

Tyler

By: Guy K on Jan. 9, 2024, 9:54 a.m.

Yes, I believe I understand what you are saying in the short video. I am interested in what the club does when not being swung but leaned from a static grounded address position. To me, it opens as seen in the putter clip I attached. In the Instagram clip from my OP, the instructor demonstrated, by holding the club waist high in front of him, what happens when he moves the handle toward the target with no rotation - the head moves away from the target and opens.

Related is that lowering/raising the handle closes/opens the face from setup and these motions come in handy in the short game - not so much leaning away/toward the target though all of these motion can become compensations in a swing depending on the face conditions - and you have a video explaining these.

I go by Guy though I have been called Ghee at times by some French-Canadians and long ago by a professor of mine who though Polish live in France for quite some time. I just roll with it. I first learned of this way back in the early 70's when following the Olympics and saw the French hurdler Guy Drut.

Looking forward to the longer video.

Here is another clip with a wedge showing a lean with no twist opens the face.

By: Guy K on Jan. 9, 2024, 9:57 a.m.

Duplicate post

Last edited by: Guy K on Jan. 9, 2024, 10:02 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Jan. 16, 2024, 1:03 p.m.

Hey Guy, not Ghee,

I'm still traveling and dealing with prep for my class this weekend, so no time for a video until Feb. But, I'm curious, what do you hope the non-swinging version will help you understand. If you just move the handle forward, is that trying to simulate more shaft lean? Or just seeing what happens to a club when the grip moves horizontally?

Tyler

By: Guy K on Jan. 16, 2024, 1:41 p.m.

Clarity on the four motions of the handle and their effect on the club face. Raise opens, lower closes so does forward open and backward close? Or is it other body motions that open/close the face and simple movement of the handle does nothing? Your book, to me, says simple movement of the handle opens/closes but others disagree.

So far i have found no evidence to support the do nothing case. Even had an instructor do a video where he leaned the handle forward to show the face did not change but when zoomed in it clearly opened until his hands reached his lead thigh and he rotated the face closed - we are talking a matter of 10* so unless you zoomed it would appear that the face only
delofted.

And when told to slide the grip along a wall etc so as to avoid twisting the face open or raise the handle , the clips i attached clearly show the face opens and handle does not twist or raise. Putter, wedge, 4i all same result.

Deep in the weeds. Nothing urgent so if a video is or isnt necessary to answer then i am good. Dr kwon, 6 months ago or so, told me he has a paper coming out on midhands motion and which, in part, addresses the alpha wars - patiently awaiting that one too. He like you has many balls up in the air.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.