Poor finesse wedge ball contact

Poor finesse wedge ball contact  

By: David M on Jan. 23, 2023, 7:49 a.m.

Simply put, I experience around the green the frustrating contact issue all too frequently of the ball sliding up the face and going short. I'm assuming that even though I play these shots with a slightly open club face I'm adding loft and the ball goes nowhere. It's akin to knocking the "knees" from under the ball. I could ask a hundred questions about this but I'll ask just one: on a chip or short pitch should the face of the slightly open-faced wedge be closing?

Last edited by: David M on Jan. 23, 2023, 7:51 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Poor finesse wedge ball contact  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 24, 2023, 8:14 a.m.

In my experience, the ball sliding up the face usually comes from too much axis tilt and the rib cage staying in flexion too long. This usually creates low point issues and shaft lean/trajectory issues.

The tricky thing with your question is handling feel vs real. In reality, the face closes to the target, and to the path during the finesse wedge. But, many pros who do close it describe the feeling of it staying open/square during the stroke. So knowing that it closes doesn't necessarily fix your issue. If you are prone to too much tilt, then tilting like that can be one of your sources of closing the face and trying to close the face that way may actually cause you to tilt more and have bigger contact issues and more cases of the ball sliding up the face.

With the ball sliding up the face, first thing I'd check is your impact line and body position at impact. If you want more help please post a swing so we can move from theory to a more detailed solution.

Happy Golfing,

Tyler

Re: Poor finesse wedge ball contact  

By: David M on Jan. 24, 2023, 2:49 p.m.

Your thoughts on the spine axis and most notably staying in flexion too long with the rib cage are interesting. I'll play around with these and see what happens. Thanks for your time and input. Dave

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.