not wanting to go back

not wanting to go back  

By: Rick T on Jan. 26, 2021, 6:37 p.m.

Hi Tyler. It's been a great learning experience looking at the videos and reading your book. I have been able to identify and work on some of my many flaws (thanks to your insightful teaching!). Many Flaws but the biggest-1. 'late"-early extension (at impact I flip my hands to square the club face- no forward shaft lean; move my head up and away from the ball -to make good contact and stall my rotation). 2."early" early extension- working on motorcycle and unhinging (T-Rex). At impact position my body position is more open with the club face on target line. Improvement is definitely showing. I am about 5 index so these "flaws" were well grooved over the years and I made them somewhat playable. I have not been able to go to a range (northern Canada) to see the ball flight but I have a mat, Mirror golf app(your excellent suggestion) and a Mevo + ( Xmas gift). I have always been able to hit driver fairly well (Relatively speaking) in the past but I think my driver swing is where a lot of my "flaws" have come from. I am very happy with my iron swing at the moment. Sorry for the long intro but finally the question - I'm having difficulty incorporating the new movements for the driver. With the iron among other things I'm trying to shallow the club but the AOA is still negative and the club is delofted at impact. With the driver the ball is placed further ahead and there is some axis tilt that will make AOA positive but I can't seem to find a good comfortable "swing" and I'm "not wanting to go back" to my old driver swing. Some of the other differences that you have mentioned are on release the torso points more toward the target compared to the iron which is more towards the ground (relatively speaking). Left shoulder is behind the impact line (axis tilt). I've tried to choke down on the driver so that it feels more like an iron length. Can you suggest some drills especially for the driver. I find some of the pump drills and 9 to 3 work well for the iron but maybe different for driver(?) As well as can you point out some other differences ( driver and iron) that will help me visualize what I might need to do to make better contact. Many Thanks. Rick

Re: not wanting to go back  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 30, 2021, 7:19 p.m.

Sometimes there is no going back. It's best to be able to recognize where you are and pick a course of action that will likely improve it.

If your goal is more solid contact, then you have to identify what might be a reason for the poor contact. As you stated in your post, stand up and straightening the arms at impact can cause poor contact. As a broad brush, working on maintaining posture and having better sequencing through typically helps with the driver. So pump drills can work well for that.

Here is the driver pump https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/delivery-pump-drill1/
Here and driver path check points to identify why the contact might be poor. https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/driver-path-check-points/

If you'd like more guidance, feel free to post a swing, that way I can help you identify what might be the biggest culprit.

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.