Member Q&A - Is swinging outside in the only way to steepen things?

Member Q&A - Is swinging outside in the only way to steepen things?  

By: Tyler F on Jan. 15, 2020, 6:40 p.m.

A member asked the question:
"I was reviewing your book again. I find it helpful to read it and then set it down for a while to let what I read sink in.

I have a question about steeps and shallows and how they relate to path. I do not believe your book says it explicitly (maybe for good reasons), but when I was reading the steeps and shallows chapter, I sort of assumed that any movement that caused a steep would bring the path left and any movement that shallowed would push the path right.

I have been working on ulnar deviation (unhinging) and reviewing some of your videos talking about unhinging being an important shallower. So I was looking at the Steeps and Shallows section and realized that hinging and unhinging wasn’t included (I’m not sure why other than concepts overlap and there are always pros and cons with different ways of organizing a book), but when I found the section on unhinging, you described the motion as both shallowing (expected) and moving the path to the LEFT (unexpected). Can you explain that and how you tell if a movement moves the path left or right?"

Here's a video explaining my perspective on steeps and shallows.

I didn't answer the specific question on why hinging/unhinging wasn't included in my video. In the book, I tried to error on simplicity, knowing that I also had the site to add layers of detail. In the second row, I show narrower arms is steep and wider arms is shallow. I didn't want to dive into too much detail in that section, so in my mind, those pictures showed how ulnar deviation helped shallow. In retrospect, I probably should have made it more clear since that is such an important arm shallowing move.

Last edited by: Tyler F on May 19, 2020, 9:27 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Member Q&A - Is swinging outside in the only way to steepen things?  

By: John C on Jan. 16, 2020, 7:17 a.m.

+Tyler F
Tyler,
I thought this was a great video and explained steep and shallow in a way I had never seen before (rise vs run). As always, thanks for your work.
John

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.