I need your help! What looks do you hate in your swing?

I need your help! What looks do you hate in your swing?  

By: Tyler F on Dec. 2, 2019, 7:53 p.m.

I want to know what "looks" you hate in your swing. We're going to get into some details of what has to change to fix those pesky looks. Please comment below!

Re: I need your help! What looks do you hate in your swing?  

By: Ed C on Dec. 2, 2019, 9:34 p.m.

+Tyler F

I swear I'm only a suffering narcissist when it comes to the golf swing:

(1) I hate how my front leg/knee tends to buckle - a la Bubba Watson - when approaching the top of the backswing
(2) I hate how my arms don't stay extended well into the follow-through, past the 3 o'clock position - unlike Rory McIlroy or Jason Day
(3) I hate how my front leg 'buckles' slightly post bracing & impact before straightening for good at the finish position - a la Dustin Johnson
(4) I hate how my trail foot doesn't unweight completely when finishing the follow-through (common one I'm sure)
(5) I hate how my swing 'looks' slower on video than it feels when I'm swinging as hard as I can

By: Ed J on Dec. 3, 2019, 8:48 a.m.

+Tyler F
I am 75 no body rotation and therefore I don't hit through the ball

By: John C on Dec. 3, 2019, 8:55 a.m.

+Tyler F
I hate the look of "humping the ball" in the downswing. I don't do it as much as I use to, but I want it gone. All gone!

By: Patti D on Dec. 3, 2019, 1:08 p.m.

+Tyler F
I hate my collapsing left ankle on the driver takeaway, my upper body lunge on irons, my lack of open hips at impact, and my "senior" follow-through with the longer clubs (sawed off). I need *your* help!

By: Hans F on Dec. 3, 2019, 1:10 p.m.

+Tyler F

By: Glenn M on Dec. 3, 2019, 5:04 p.m.

+Tyler F

Hey Tyler. Greetings from sunny Australia.

While it’s still work in progress, I hate the slide/sway in my swing. I want to be able to make sure I can post up on left leg - all else being equal - with body rotation and balance.

And being tooooo steep on my swing is another ‘hate.’

Cheers

Glenn M

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:19 a.m.

+Ed C Thank you for the response, perhaps I should have also asked you what you love in your swing ;)

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:24 a.m.

+Ed J Thanks for the response, I'll add it to my list. In the meantime, I'd consider you experimented with turning out your lead foot. Also, make sure the clubface in a position that allows you to rotate through impact.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:28 a.m.

+John C That humping look can be a tricky one. It helps shallow the club, it creates space for early arm straightening, it helps close the face quickly, it puts less demand into hip flexibility...

The big thing with that one is finding a slow motion drill where you don't have any hump and seeing what happens (bad contact, face open, no feeling of power etc). That experiment helps you figure out why it's likely a part of your swing.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:31 a.m.

+Patti D I can visualize most of those looks, but what is the collapsing ankle in the takeaway? do you have a picture of it?

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:34 a.m.

+Glenn M Greetings Glenn. Enjoy your trip. Thanks for participating. I know that slide/lunge look is something you're working on. The two components to the lunge/steep pattern are the positions and the timing. The positions both require more wipe (less at the ball) and the timing requires later firing (about half way down instead of right at the top). Safe travels!

By: Manny S on Dec. 8, 2019, 11:36 a.m.

+Tyler F
Short game,I hate that my right hand wants to dominate. Get fat or bladed shots making short game so inconsistent.

By: Zach F on Feb. 2, 2024, 4:50 p.m.

Flat pivot with the shut face and across the line, leading to steep and deep pull down in transition and finally that look where the trail shoulder protracts in the early follow through

By: John R on Dec. 3, 2019, 6:59 a.m.

I hate when the clubhead is behind my right elbow and then the shaft is flat mid-way in my backswing

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:37 a.m.

+John R Tnaks for participating. The inside takeaway can come from too much lead shoulder rotation, not early enough arm lift, too level a shoulder turn, too much upper body sway off the ball, or too much right arm bend.

Personally, I think the second picture isn't that bad. But that's why I started this thread, everyone has different looks they hate ;)

By: John R on Dec. 9, 2019, 9:04 a.m.

+Tyler F
Thanks Tyler. I think it's a really interesting topic, too. Especially since even if my ball striking is perfectly on point, I'll still cringe when I see myself in that position. We all do have that thing.

When I visit you in February, we can work on it and you can help me get to the point where I also agree that it's not so bad :)

By: Dieter O on Dec. 3, 2019, 7:40 a.m.

I have a few looks I hate:

-The open face in the takeaway. It seems like this look is accentuated with the driver for some reason. Not sure if it's the different swing plane, but it's been a fairly consistent effect for me.
-The early extension pattern as I don't find it particularly predictable.
-The slow body and rapid dumping of "lag" forcing me to play the ball back to make solid contact with irons.
-The steep and open on the downswing, which seems to pop up the most with the driver for me.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:42 a.m.

+Dieter O Thanks for participating.

1 - open face in the takeaway usually comes from leading the movement with the arms and hands instead of the feet (left foot specifically). That could relate to your tendency to use the arms more in transition.

2 - Early extension is a pesky one. See my answer above on that one.

3 - This is probably the trickiest one. It requires a different timing of force than you're used to. The downswing would likely feel like a 1-2 rather than a single force producing movement. It requires more of the wipe move and more of the movement happening from the hips/legs instead of the shoulders. But again, the biggest difference is that it doesn't feel as powerful to those who like to fire early.

By: Gregory D on Dec. 3, 2019, 9:41 a.m.

Nice to hear you say there might be something in your swing that you don't like seeing in videos...what? Because I think it looks awesome.

The big one for me, but it's improved is the: High right hip and scrunched down right shoulder through the ball. Looks like I've been tied up for a kidnapping.

Last edited by: Gregory D on Dec. 3, 2019, 9:42 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:44 a.m.

+Gregory D Yes, I don't think anyone thinks their swing is perfect. You just have to know it and it's tendencies :)

Colorful imagery, do you have a snapshot of your swing at impact so I could see that position better?

By: Andrew H on Dec. 3, 2019, 10:38 a.m.

So this may or may not be a huge issue in my swing but... I hate how it looks!

Check out the 2 photos below... Adam has more bend in his right knee through impact and appears more stable on his left foot. Looking at my position you can see my right leg is straighter and I appear to be more on my toes with my left foot.

Look forward to hearing your take on it.

By: Jules C on Dec. 3, 2019, 6:51 p.m.

+Andrew H
No reason to hate what you see. you don't look especially on your left toe; to me it looks like you are rolling your left foot from inside to outside. Not the best for bracing but not a major problem; and as to your right knee position, yours is preferable as you are obviously in the midst of extending which is the correct move from around p6.5 on. I'd like to see your finish as I would like to see if the result is your butt tucked under your pelvis which would be the natural desired endpoint of a swing that has extension of the body through impact as yours appears to. If I had a choice between looking like Adam Scott and Grant Waite, I'd prefer the latter, though I would prefer the bank account of the former.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:48 a.m.

+Andrew H I agree with Jules on this one. I actually prefer your right leg movement compared to Adams. The left foot indicates a slight compensation for the left hip, but I don't think yours is excessive (like a Jordan Spieth).

But I am curious, what do you think your look prevents you from doing? Does it limit your ability to control path, face, or produce speed?

By: Andrew H on Dec. 10, 2019, 7:04 p.m.

+Tyler F
That is a great question, going to have to think on it a bit... On video, when I see my right leg straightening like that, it appears to be related to my glutes firing and causing my hips to slightly elevate and move toward the ball instead of staying “deep” and rotating through the hit. I have been working really hard on removing the flip from my release, searching everywhere for the cause... and it looks like to me that the way my hips slightly stall out a touch after impact is prompting a slight flip pattern. Video below if you have time. Fun topic!

By: Andrew H on Dec. 10, 2019, 7:13 p.m.

+Jules C
Hey thanks for the feedback, much appreciated... Below is a swing from a few days ago, if you get time... Also, I’ll need to admit that I don’t know what 6.5 P means :)

By: Jules C on Dec. 10, 2019, 8:12 p.m.

+Andrew H
I think you have a wonderful golf swing. There are so many strong aspects of it; the backswing, the transition; the sequencing. anyone should be able to play great golf with that swing. That said there are two (I think connected) parts of the swing that can be improved upon. They have to do with your release. I put a picture below: that is position 6.5. Let me explain. P1 is address; P2 is shaft parallel in the backswing; P3 is left arm parallel; P4 is the end of the backswing (which varies of course from player to player); p5 is left arm parallel on the downswing; p6 is clubshaft parallel on downswing; p7 is impact; p8 is club parallel post impact; p9 is left arm parallel post impact; p10 is finish.
P5.5. is position midway between p5 and p6 and that is what we think of as the delivery position. P6.5 is midway between p6 and impact, and is exactly where for the very best players the high energy of the release begins.
The more someone stalls, (hip and torso rotation stopping( the earlier the hands begin to release the club. Body stalling is often caused by a clubface that is too open approaching the ball. In the picture below your club is a bit too open to ball and it is just at this point your body stops rotating; and at the same time you'll notice your left leg is not straightening much. Your right leg is, which is the core of your ability to extend into impact , but by comparison your left leg does not straighten nearly as extensively; the body stalls until impact and then you complete your rotation. You can see the same thing in your iron swing from behind. at 5.5 when the club is right across your trail arm (a beautiful position) your club face should be parallel to your spine, but it is more toe up and that is going to encourage the same stall. It's a chicken egg but IMHO I would get the clubface in a position that would encourage rotation and that means at 5.5. I'd like to see it more parallel to the spine. This will encourage rotation; and that would allow you to push your left leg into the ground and up straightening it, adding power and enabling your rotation. it will be a smoother and more powerful swing with a more stable clubface, better flight control and distance with what will feel like a bit less effort. In my mind you are that close I'd love to see what your pitch swings look like; your putting and chip shots. I hope you have occasion to get to Los Gatos to work with Tyler. I am sure with very little instruction and a lot of work you can be a hell of a golfer -- better than either Tyler or I were in our heyday. Certainly better than me.

By: Jules C on Dec. 10, 2019, 8:27 p.m.

+Jules C
see how open the clubface is in the iron shot. notice as a consequence your legs are not rotating. they are not far different than they are at p5 left arm parallel which is a great position: arm across your body and your knees are just about parallel (better if they were fully parallel); torso still very much closed to target; so much power stored at this point
Notice finally that between pictures 1 and 3 your torso has unwound (rotated) significantly more than your lower body has: knees v. shoulders Body stops just a bit. Fix the face and the front leg can straighten/brace/rotate and the impact will be more fluid and powerful and more rhythmic and effortless.
Wonder if Tyler sees it similarly.

Last edited by: Jules C on Dec. 11, 2019, 8:55 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Andrew H on Dec. 11, 2019, 6:05 a.m.

+Jules C

Really nice of you to take the time to look over my swing, Thank You! I read over your notes several times, awesome stuff, what you are saying regarding my open club face really makes sense. When I sent my swing to Tyler a year ago it was also an area he recommended I look at, among others. I have gone through several stretches working on the motorcycle move and it has been a very tough move for me. I don’t know exactly why, maybe I’m just not doing it correctly. I’ll review Tyler’s videos on it and hopefully pick up on something... I’ve been a GSA member about a year and half I guess, it has been huge for understanding my swing. So yes, I plan to come see Tyler at some point in the future. Again, thank you for the analysis and the encouragement!

Re: I need your help! What looks do you hate in your swing? Andrew H.  

By: John C on Dec. 11, 2019, 6:46 a.m.

+Jules C I enjoy reading your responses to the forum questions. I find them well written and well thought out. My opinion on Andrew H. swing is sometimes pulling the arms can lead to more extension of the lead wrist and an opening/non-closing of the clubface in the downswing. It always seems to get back to how well we can execute the rotation of the body once we have educated the hands and arms. Just my thoughts and welcome anyones responses.

By: Jules C on Dec. 11, 2019, 9:09 a.m.

+John C
Thank you for your kind comments. Your position immediately post impact is picture book quality. I'd be surprised were you not one hell of a golfer.
Regarding Andrew's swing, my thoughts are pretty simple. In transition if you flatten the club and you also have your right elbow visible below the left arm (as Andrew does, which is a great move) your clubface will naturally open. And you have to do something to counter that. The easiest and least otherwise disruptive way to that is to twist the shaft (the motorcycle). I prefer a slow and continuing motorcycle rather than a one time aggressive move. It is not the only way. When i worked with Mac O'Grady, he had a very slight flattening, but also a very strong grip which would have the effect of having a clubface less likely to be as open post transition; The other approach is taken by someone like Bradley Hughes (a terrific golfer, good person and the teacher who has saved Brendon on the PGA Tour, is to have much more forearm rotation. These are all preferable to the stall and premature release. For me, golf is like putting together a puzzle. You have to find the pieces that fit together for you. Lots of things will work, but always in conjunction with compatible pieces. The things I like most about Tyler's approach and Mac's (which is different) is their efficiency of motion; the number of pieces that you have to find to work together are relatively minimal and they can be more easily learned and can work together efficiently without much risk of seepage (i.e. wasted energy).

By: John C on Dec. 11, 2019, 10:06 a.m.

+Jules C Indeed, it is a puzzle and I continue to try to put mine together. There are many Mac stories. Mine is I submitted a request for more information on MORAD from the website years ago and two days later I received a phone call from Mac himself. He spent 2-1/2 hours on the phone with me discussing his quest, the PGA tour and any number of topics that I cannot recall. I was fascinated.
The picture is from a executing one of Tyler's drills, and not my "real" golf swing. I hope my golf course swing will have that look one day.
Good luck with your puzzle.
John

Athletic Set Up  

By: John C on Dec. 3, 2019, 10:40 a.m.

Tyler,
Your background makes you the perfect person to answer my question. G. Gankas likes to see the hips tucked under a bit at the address so the right hip and leg can create some extension and depth in the backswing. He also seems to favor a little roundedness in the thoracic spine. (That's my interpretation.) . Having started teaching in the 70's, I started with the premise the spine should be relatively straight and the glutes back out over the heels to some degree, as that was a very common concept among the top coaches. I was a certified Rotary Swing teacher for a few years (Chuck Quinton) and my thinking evolved to believing the spine took on a relatively straight look due to the slight engagement of the glutes, core, and lats (area around the shoulder blades). My premise was that it is difficult and maybe harmful to go from a relaxed state to an active dynamic activity like the downswing without the body being in a "ready" state, hence the term "athletic" set up. Your thoughts please.

By: Jules C on Dec. 3, 2019, 6:12 p.m.

+John C
Hi John. It's not just GG who prefers a C set up. Many teachers have finally gotten away from the Adam Scott paradigm. I would suggest you follow Bradley Hughes site on this. You may have heard of Brad. He won the Australian Masters twice and is currently the teacher who has resurrected the career of Brendon Todd. I know Brad through John Erickson who played on the Australian tour with Brad. Both have a treasure trove of pictures and films of the greats from the last mid century on and the taller rounded back set up was widespread at the time. The general thesis is that this posture places the pelvis under the trunk, relatively level and between the feet, facilitating downswing rotation. Upper body/spine configurations at set up run a continuum from the slouchy C at one extreme to the rigid S at the other. The latter is a nightmare for the lower back and is usually associated with swings that end up with a good deal of right lateral bend which curves the spine unduly and harmfully. Others are welcome to disagree. I have always stood tall to the ball but I have very long arms. I think going all the way to the full slouch may be asking too much, but I find setups that are more like that and less rigid are conducive to pain free golf and sound rotation.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:57 a.m.

+John C You mention my background, which makes these questions much more challenging than they seem on surface. One phrase I like, "posture is a relationship, not a position". So the right posture can look different on different bodies. The key is getting the right muscles prepped while aligning the geometry for a good path. I think it's easy to make general statements ("straight spine, more rounded, athletic") but practically they are very limited.

If I had to come up with a simple rule, I prefer posture to be on the flexion side of neutral. Neutral is roughly halfway between the range of non-painful movement.

As far as the Rotary Swing guides you set up, I'm not a huge fan of excessive lat activation. I think many golfers who get steep use them too much in transition. But I do look for core/glute engagement. I often test my students to make sure they can use those muscles. If they can't, then forcing a "proper" posture is typically not the most beneficial.

For your last statement (going from rest to active). All tissue has a threshold, if you surpass that threshold, then the tissue is damaged. Rapid speeds can surpass threshold, and the threshold at end range of motion is typically weakest (most susceptible to failure). So in that sense, I do like a ready state as part of the set up. In my in person certification, we spend time helping golfers feel core engagement at set up with something similar to this - https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/feeling-one-piece-takeaway/

By: Dan M on Dec. 3, 2019, 1:33 p.m.

1. Hands moving slightly toward the ball and steepening the shaft at the start of the downswing.
2. Left knee straightening way too early in the downswing.
Thank you

Last edited by: Dan M on Dec. 3, 2019, 1:33 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:03 a.m.

+Dan M Thanks for participating. Those are a couple of good ones!
1 - Hands toward the ball and steepening comes from too much left shoulder blade retraction or lead shoulder protraction combined with a leftward rotation of the forearms or shoulders. Easy to describe but takes some playing to figure out how to fix it.

2 - Left knee straightening often comes from the core not transferring from the knee to the core. The left knee straightening creates stability at the pelvis instead of using the abdominals. But if you want more specific suggestions, post a picture or video so I can see the exact timing! Thanks.

By: Jules C on Dec. 3, 2019, 2:19 p.m.

I only hate what indicates an efficiency in my swing and above all else it is one thing above all else:
from a side on view when i am at p6 (the delivery position) my hands are often 3-6 inches behind my trail thigh. I don't have to see anything else to know i am about to stall or am stalling, waiting for my arms to catch up and shallow the club by throw away. At full speed I have yet to find someone who doesn't think my swing looks wonderful. Sadly, I know better. When I go to the video tape and see this state of affairs, i want to give up golf. And when the hands are around my thighs, I'm in heaven. But I am in hell more often :-(

Jules

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:11 a.m.

+Jules C Wise words. I only hate things that directly influence efficiency as well.

Quick clarification - Delivery position is about P5.5, not p6.

With that p6 check point, either the hands aren't enough in front (trail shoulder action) or the body is too far forward (slide lunge). A good check is looking at the grip location compared to the ball. If that is also back, then it's probably shoulder, if it's over the ball, then it's definitely the slide.

By: Michael P on Dec. 3, 2019, 3:31 p.m.

1. On my downswing, my trail elbow works away from my body.
2. At impact my arms separate, my lead hand breaks down and with my irons I hit slightly behind the ball while my body does an early extension.
3. Both arms collapse on my follow through, and I then chicken wing with both arms.
4. It also appears that I don’t have enough of a weight shit through the swing.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:20 a.m.

+Michael P Thanks for participating. Definitely can use some release work since most of your comments relate to your arms. Two comments to help clarify.

1 - your last point about weight shift,
In the second picture, you see that most of your body is past the ball. That's plenty of weight shift.

2 - In the picture on the left, you can see the dotted box is where the club hits the grass. Be really careful practicing out of long rough as it might give you false feedback as to where the club is hitting the ground.

By: Michael P on Dec. 8, 2019, 5:03 p.m.

+Tyler F
Thanks for your feedback...much appreciated. I have some video of my swing at a practice facility hitting on grass vs long grass. May I send this to you? Please advise

Last edited by: Michael P on Dec. 8, 2019, 5:52 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

By: Jules C on Dec. 3, 2019, 5:26 p.m.

Sorry I meant an 'inefficiency' See video below. I'm in red, and all looks good until just about delivery then its jump stall time. transition a lot better than it used to be; release remains iffy. And while the guy in red is pretty good for 72 yrs old, the guy in white is something of a golf legend and at the age of 68 can still kill it.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:22 a.m.

+Jules C Thanks for sharing that! Definitely a different position a foot past impact ;)

By: Jules C on Dec. 8, 2019, 12:52 p.m.

+Tyler F
yeah; and notice the difference in the right shoulder; and that Mac really gets his torso closer to the ground then pushes up into impact which allows him to keep right elbow bent at impact so arms don't extend until later than mine

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 1:04 p.m.

+Jules C Definitely. If you were in his body position with your arm motion, you'd hit it 6 inches fat. The images are the timing when your arm appears to start firing compared to when Mac does it. Pretty big differences.

By: Nick W on Dec. 3, 2019, 8:37 p.m.

I have two big items I don't like. I don't like my legs/hips on the downswing and my follow through.

Legs/Hips on Downswing:
Instead of my hips dropping back and down like many pros, mine kind of float across towards the target on the downswing, making my swing look less powerful. I also have a tendency to get a bit too much forward slide so that can look a little off.

Follow Through
I can have a tendency to be leaning left at follow through and/or the club will recoil a bit. I don't like the look of either (this easier to see in the down-the-line view).

Nick

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:30 a.m.

+Nick W Thanks for participating. I'd say there is some classic early extension going on. But the timing of the leg action looks really good. I don't think it actually costs you too much speed, but it might make solid contact harder to achieve.

As far as the finish. I don't dislike the position either. Like some of the other posts I've made, I'll ask what you think that finish position prevents you from doing in your swing?

By: Nick W on Dec. 14, 2019, 12:37 p.m.

+Tyler F
Hey Tyler,
Thanks for taking a look! I don't think the finish position prevents from doing anything, but I think it is a little indicative of the early extension pattern and a path that is too in-to-out. I feel like the club comes around my body better when the path is more neutral and the shaft finishes closer to parallel with the ground vs. pointing more down towards the ground in the photos shown. I might be mistaken on the cause/effect relationship here, but that is what it feels like to me.

I'm glad to hear my leg action looks good, and since I filmed this video this summer, I've been working a lot on eliminating early extension and bracing earlier to reduce some of my slide pattern. Hopefully, if I filmed today, I'd have a lot less of both of those problems.

Nick

By: David L on Dec. 3, 2019, 10:01 p.m.

Probably obvious from the video.... hate the stand-up in the backswing. It is getting better but still a long way to go :-(

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:32 a.m.

+David L Thanks for participating.

2 ways to address the stand-up. More left tilt at the top of the swing, or start taller to begin with. Lots of good pieces in that swing, so keep working on it!

By: John J on Dec. 4, 2019, 8:26 a.m.

This look in my backswing. It also tends to cause a flat club head at the top.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:35 a.m.

+John J Thanks for participating. Given the amount of pelvis rotation in that picture, it looks like you're backswing may be dominated too much by the arm/shoulder movements. With a little more body focus, particularly with side bend, perhaps the
takeaway will have less of a flat look.

By: Hans F on Dec. 7, 2019, 3:31 a.m.

Hate my poor and unstable leg Action
I am a 61 y old ex Hockey Player (Right shot) - so to give You an idea where this knee flex comes from

Last edited by: Hans F on Dec. 7, 2019, 5:05 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:40 a.m.

+Hans F Thanks for participating. I agree with Jules that the leg issue is more of a backswing issue than a downswing. The squat move in transition looks really good! In the takeaway, there's more of an ankle sway rather than a rotation of the hips. Letting the right leg straighten a bit to help create some depth could help. Try this drill. https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/shaft-resisted-rotation-training/

By: Hans F on Dec. 9, 2019, 5 a.m.

Thanks Guys for Your Help and explain….I totally agree and will work on this at the Range (great Drill Tyler) over the Winter month here in Austria..we are more on the Skis now…...the Video I have sent was made before I joined Your academy and also before I went through 20-30 of Your great drills…….will get back to You with a hopefully much improved move and Video in spring....…... thx Hans

By: Jules C on Dec. 7, 2019, 6:20 a.m.

Hans--
There's a lot of good in your swing, but if you are concerned about stability in your legs, my suggestion is that the source of this occurs in the backswing where you let your weight get to the outside of your right leg. It is clear by looking at the position of your right knee as you complete the backswing. There are two things I recommend to clients with similar problems. You want to keep the weight and pressure on the backswing and downswing inside your legs. If you do what you are doing it is almost impossible to sequence effectively in the downswing and equally impossible appropriately to load the right glute!
In my experience the one solution that does triple duty is to let your right leg straighten some in the backswing. This will do three things. It will enable you to increase your hip turn. Yours is very truncated at this point. It will keep the knee from collapsing and the weight from getting outside the right foot. It will also provide you with some pelvic tilt -- left lower than right -- which enable a much better pressure shift to the left. Also if you keep your pelvis between your ankles and in balance it will be easier to rotate. So simply by straightening but not locking your right knee you will be in better balance, load the glute, be better able to engage in the two most important parts of transition -- shifting pressure to the left and rotating.. Hope that helps. And while I only played roller skate hockey as a kid (on the playgrounds of Brooklyn-- so we are talking pretty low level-- i recall slap shots involving bracing on the back leg which had some straightening so it should come reasonably easy to you.

By: Hans F on Dec. 9, 2019, 4:54 a.m.

Thanks Guys for Your Help and explain….I totally agree and will work on this over the Winter month here in Austria....the Video I have sent was made before I joined Your academy and also before I went through 20-30 drills…….will get back to You with a hopefully much improved move and Video in spring.... thx Hans +Jules C

By: Michael G on Dec. 8, 2019, 7:09 a.m.

I hate the way my left arm doesn’t stay extended in the follow through. (Biggest one, and the one thing that I’ve never been able to replicate what pros do naturally) Also my right knee bends through impact. I dislike my short backswing also.

By: Jules C on Dec. 8, 2019, 8:12 a.m.

Wow-- there's a lot to like in this swing. More important (IMHO) than what you describe as the left arm breakdown post impact is captured by the picture below. What's perfect is that at this point is that you have the butt of the club pointed at your two centers, especially the sternum, there is modest face rotation which indicates a good face at impact, full ulner deviation and club head down and no raised handle. On the other hand, look at your body structure. Notice that while your arms are stretching out, they are not yet fully extended and they never do get fully extended. Your core/trunk is scrunched up; your left knee is outside your ankle; I don't think you ever want your left knee outside your ankle; and your overall body look appears to be on the way to the right positions, but never gets there. At this point in your swing, you would want your left hip a bit more rotated back behind which would require your left knee straightening to facilitate the rotation; instead of being scrunched you should begin to be much more extended and have your butt more underneath your pelvis. Put another way, you'd want to look more braced, enabling your body to withstand the acceleration of the clubhead out/down and away from your body, which would have the effect of extending your arms fully (no left elbow collapse). So think of it this way: right now in this picture you look like everything has is slowing down and stopping; whereas in fact, with better bracing which would come from extension, butt under the pelvis, left leg straighening, which would lead to a more complete left hip rotation, you would smoothly extend your arms and complete the swing naturally and the look that you have stepped on the brakes would disappear.
I don't know what Tyler would say or whether he would agree. He's the expert, but were you my client, that is what I would be looking to have you do. I am a 'one thing' that fixes 'many things' guy. I wouldn't worry about anything else in your swing. Improve the bracing by straightening (not locking) the left knee, which will allow you to complete the rotation of the left hip, which will stop the truncation of getting your butt under your pelvis, which will enable you to extend your trunk, which in turn will strengthen the resistance (i.e. ability to withstand the speed of the club wanting to pull you with its momentum); which will lead to your arms being fully extended. Anyone would be more than happy to have the rest of your swing IMO. Hope that helps

By: Jules C on Dec. 8, 2019, 8:20 a.m.

Sorry to add more, but I thought you might want to see the screen shot below of me and more importantly, Mac O'Grady, hitting somewhat simultaneously. Focus on his look at roughly the same point post impact. Different camera angles, but still instructive. His arms are extended. He now has a permanently damaged elbow which restricts his ability to fully extend. His left knee never fully straightens, but it is straightening and his torso is extending. Just note the differences between you and him. Notice as well for what it's worth how much more extended I am compared to you. That and the backswing are the only two parts of my swing on this occasion I would endorse :-)

By: Michael G on Dec. 8, 2019, 9:35 a.m.

+Jules C
That’s fantastic analysis. I’ve never really worked on lower body movements with any precision beyond weight shift.

When should I feel that leg straightening/ pelvis under torso in my downswing?

I really appreciate your thoughts.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:44 a.m.

+Michael G Thanks for participating. I agree with everything Jules said, it's a great description of the pivot and how it will complement the release drills you've worked on. The legs should start pushing vertically around the delivery position. Right about where this photo is taken.

By: Michael G on Dec. 8, 2019, 4:01 p.m.

+Tyler F
Thanks Tyler. I’ll start working on the legs and then send you some videos for a lesson. Talia has been progressing well by the way!!

And thanks again Jules

By: Jules C on Dec. 8, 2019, 4:46 p.m.

You are more than welcome. This has been a great way for some of us who are coaches in the Golf Smart Academy to meet and (with luck) help the membership who have the good fortune of working with Tyler.
Jules

By: David G on Dec. 8, 2019, 10:30 p.m.

I hate the following looks in my swing:
1. Extremely high hands at the top of my backswing (no depth and above plane??)
2. Inability to shallow the club on the downswing. Club gets vertical almost immediately in the downswing.
3. Early extension and lack of rotation on downswing and follow through.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.