Golf Diary and Range Notes

Golf Diary and Range Notes  

By: Jane P on June 15, 2022, 1:42 a.m.

Hi Tyler

I read (from the other chat) you got married recently. Congratulations. So maybe you are too busy to help or another member or coach can help.

I’m trying to be smarter about my practice and on the course practice - have agendas, focus on feels, connecting the dots. It feels great when I’m there but so much information to hold onto without writing it down. I know you have suggested to keep a journal, can you recommend one ( or supply this forum with some headings so we can make our own). Even a sheet I can print off that make sure I’m capturing all the right information rather than getting lost in my own head. I too imagine drawing stick diagrams of positions but by the time I get back to my car then the detail is lost?

Thanks again and warm wishes for your marriage

Re: Golf Diary and Range Notes  

By: Tyler F on June 17, 2022, 7:45 a.m.

Hi Jane,

Thank you. Yes, I got married about 6 weeks ago and enjoying the new chapter. New things to work on, but enjoying it all nonetheless.

Great question. I've had a "going to the range worksheet" on my project list for quite some time. But until I get that done, here are a few examples. Your first question is to decide if you're going to work on skills, or going to work on technique. I'll bias this more toward technique since that's what most players want, but if you are getting ready for important tournaments or trips, I recommend more skill work.

I don't think your Golf Diary or Range Notes have to be overly detailed, but should be something that you can quickly reference. I can't tell you how many times I had a great mini practice session but couldn't remember the key details even hours later, yet alone the next day's practice.

So on my sheet I like to make note of a few keys:
What swing am I working on? (Driver, Iron, Wedge, Putting, Bunker...etc)
Key Feels or visuals? (ribs open more, pressure here, face way more closed or swinging way right...etc)
Key Drills that got me those feels? (pump drill, delivery and go, lead arm only, connection drill...etc)
Checkpoint or theme I'm working on? (follow through, monitor arm to chest position, or hip to foot...etc)

Also, I usually use video at the beginning and end of practice. I've had a number of practice sessions where I thought I was making progress on a item, but when I looked at it on video, the key I was trying to work on still didn't change. I know that the success in those sessions where I got in a good rhythm and hit it will but didn't make the change I wanted on video will have fleeting performance gains. So I'm less likely to think "I GOT IT!" when the video doesn't move in the direction I want.

I hope that helps,

Tyler

ps see a few examples of my note cards from the last 6 months

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.