Force at setup

Force at setup  

By: Guy K on April 18, 2020, 11:59 a.m.

Tyler,
Is there an advantage to applying force, by actively pressing your feet into the ground, at setup through your feet? I can take setup and rely on just my body weight to apply force or I can press down and increase the force beyond my body weight. I understand that being able to create as much force as one can by shaft vertical downswing can lead to increased club head speed - not necessarily peak force. Other than increasing friction and potential for more torque is there an advantage or is it sufficient to increase this force through the backswing etc? Or other thoughts on this topic?
Thanks,
Guy

Re: Force at setup  

By: Tyler F on April 20, 2020, 10:03 a.m.

+Guy K I haven't seen anything that discusses the advantage of pressing the ground. I can see some potential benefit to pushing down as a rhythm trigger to starting the swing. I do like the idea of the lead foot starting the takeaway, and a little press down with the lead foot can help. But you should not be approaching any type of max pressure at the start.

You're correct that having a higher vertical force at lead arm parallel can be key. But unfortunately, I don't have a strong insight for set up.

Re: Force at setup  

By: Guy K on April 20, 2020, 11:37 a.m.

+Tyler F
Thanks

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.