Como axe drill and AMG

Como axe drill and AMG  

By: Garrett F on Sept. 19, 2021, 7:50 p.m.

Tyler- curious to hear your thoughts on comos thoughts on adding width and extension of right arm from the top rather than external shoulder rotation and delaying right arm extension with the wipe in your model of golf swing.

Pros/cons to each model?

https://youtu.be/kL2iCnsRBxI

Re: Como axe drill and AMG  

By: Tyler F on Sept. 27, 2021, 6:56 p.m.

I think the really important part of this discussion is looking at feel vs real. Chris Como and Trevor both said numerous times that this is what they wanted to feel, not what they wanted to do. If power is a goal, then you wouldn't want to extend the right arm until after your hips have changed direction. BUT, for some people who get too much back extension, and not enough core/oblique action, a feeling of throwing the arms down in front of the body works really well for synching things up.

I also think the logical process they used echoes my goals with the site.

Step 1: They started with a diagnosis...they wanted to change the way the club looked in transition
Step 2: They experimented with drills and feels until they got the change they wanted
Step 3: They put in a lot of reps of the drill to train it. Trevor said, "I used to do this drill a lot". "I loved it".

I find a lot of golfers who struggle either are searching for a feel, vs searching for something they want to change in their swing (so they skip step 1). Or they shortcut step 3 and only do a drill once or twice to get a feel then try to recreate the FEEL for a few practices rather than doing the drill.

Quick summary. The axe throw feel can work well for golfers who over radial, over lat pull, or overextend the lower back. It's a feel to play with, but it's not the actual measured goal of the golf swing. It's to help you overdo the opposite feel of what you currently do.

So, here's a video I did on the topic of finding the right feel. Making sure you're not skipping step one, what look or movement are you trying to work on?

https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/comparing-your-pattern-model/

Re: Como axe drill and AMG  

By: Kevin M on Sept. 27, 2021, 8:28 a.m.

Hi Garrett

Good question. I’m hoping to see Tyler soon and will mention this one to him. My own view on this, based on exposure to several quality instructors is some of these drills (and especially the AMG stuff on hand speed {width, extension of right arm from top, Rory vid} is focusing in on an narrow area rather than what the whole system is doing. Maybe you have seen this vid from Tyler.

https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/discussing-hand-speed/?list=pivot-drills,20729

I recall an insta vid from AMG in q1 comparing Ams, Pros - focusing on hand speed, pros accelerate earlier to get speed, what it didn’t call out is that pros lower body (like Tyler talks to in aforementioned vid) has transitioned ahead of hands and at speed, core for that matter too. Think Jackson 5 post P2.

Appreciate you’d prefer to him hear from Tyler which I’m sure will happen soon. Maybe I didn’t even manage to touch on your question :)

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.