Breaking the handle drag habit

Breaking the handle drag habit  

By: Matt B on Nov. 2, 2020, 2:30 p.m.

As someone who is a lifelong handle dragger, I'm committed to breaking this habit during the offseason. The feels of the isolated ulnar drill have shown me the benefits a shallow and full release. My question is, what drills or step by step process would you recommend to break this habit? I have found that I really can't release the club early enough (at this point) but unfortunately when I try to ulnar deviate on full swings, my trail arm/shoulder goes internal and causes me problems. I've seen some old videos from Mike Austin where he advocates the feel of an underhand throw, keeping the trail forearm towards the sky as long as possible. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Breaking the handle drag habit  

By: Tyler F on Nov. 5, 2020, 8:14 p.m.

Hey Matt,
This is the best time to work on bigger changes like that. I'll try to help. Maybe you could post a swing here and we can identify the pieces to work through. While I hear the term thrown around, I've yet to see a really clear definition of handle dragging. Release problems can show up in different ways. I usually start by looking at a 9-3, single arms only, and the full swing. By looking at those movements, we can identify what's going on in your release clearly.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.