Bowed wrist at impact leading to back problems?

Bowed wrist at impact leading to back problems?  

By: Guy K on March 5, 2021, 4:20 a.m.

So does bowed wrist at impact lead to back problems? I don’t see the connection but have seen it written about as being due to needing more rotation and side bend. I get side bend too much from spine only can create issues but how would this connect to a bowed wrist? And really wondering how having the pelvis more open or rotating versus stalled would lead to back issues,

Thanks, guy

Re: Bowed wrist at impact leading to back problems?  

By: Tyler F on March 8, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

I haven't seen a connection between a bowed wrist and back problems. Playing devil's advocate. Most pros are way more open than amateurs. If the argument that more rotation and side bend caused back problems, then very few amateurs should have back issues since they are nowhere near as open or side bent. That's simply not the case. An injury comes when you go past a specific tissue threshold. This happens for a variety of reasons.

A few reasons you'd pass a tissue threshold are:
1. Overuse (too much volume)
2. End rang of motion at high speed
3. Rapid acceleration or deceleration
4. No warm up - tissue didn't have enough blood flow or hydration and was more likely to tear than stretch

There are probably more, but those are a few I commonly explain to my students. Too much side bend, in theory, approaches two of those issues, but I see many more back problems from a stall/flip with early extension. That usually fits more in the rapid deceleration bucket. Either way, I don't see an overly mechanistic reason a bowed wrist causes back pain. But that's just my opinion.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.