Best iPhone for Swing Video

Best iPhone for Swing Video  

By: Nick W on Aug. 4, 2020, 3:52 p.m.

Hello All,
My current iPhone is breaking down, so I'm looking at getting a new one. Any advice on the best iPhone and/or iPhone accessories for golf swing video?

Thank you,

Nick

Re: Best iPhone for Swing Video  

By: Tyler F on Aug. 5, 2020, 9:32 a.m.

The iPhone hasn't really updated it's high speed camera in a number of generations. So any one of the models more recent than like the iPhone 5 will shoot 240 FPS at 1080. There are a host of different apps. I personally use Technique (by Hudl). But it seems to be getting more buggy. At the very least, you'll need a tripod (nothing fancy) which I'd get off amazon :)

By: Nick W on Aug. 5, 2020, 12:58 p.m.

Thanks Tyler,
I will be buying a lower priced iPhone model then if they are all basically the same! I might try to see if my phone can hold out for a few more months and see if the rumored 4k recording at 240fps makes its way into the iPhone 12. I would assume that should be better golf swing, correct?

I have a nice tripod that unfortunately had one of the clips in the telescoping legs break off. It'll do for now; I should spend some time one day and try to fix it.

Much appreciated,

Nick

By: Tyler F on Aug. 9, 2020, 10:20 a.m.

I haven't seen a big difference between 720 and 1080p for analyzing a swing. i don't think 4K will be that much better, but I could be wrong. What would make a huge difference would be a manual (or higher) shutter speed mode. But that's not important for most iPhone users :)

By: Steve H on Aug. 14, 2020, 4:37 a.m.

I really like the Square Jellyfish tripod mounts. Have three of them. The metal one is more solid but haven't had problems with the plastic ones.

By: Tyler F on Aug. 17, 2020, 10:19 a.m.

Good to know. I'll have to check them out!

By: Nick W on Sept. 21, 2020, 8:39 p.m.

I had a big full size tripod I had been using at the range, but picked up a square jellyfish to do some quick video during drills and such. Wow! I’d classify it as an essential training tool; it’s so much easier to get good practice in when I can see my swing/drills easily.

Nick

By: Tyler F on Sept. 27, 2020, 9:10 a.m.

Yes, it is. I'm working on a program to help you all analyze your own video. Having clear feedback is really invaluable for quality practice!

By: Rick T on Aug. 15, 2020, 7:36 p.m.

Hi Tyler. I'm glad to hear that you use Hudl. Can you tell me when filming down the line view where should the camera be aligned? There is not much room behind me (in doors) so is it better down the target line, parallel to target line but closer to shoulder /thighs? For Face On view is better to be in middle of stance or perpendicular to ball position? What video setting (hudl) is best to send to you? As an aside can you comment on Live View Pro camera. Do you think it is worth getting if I have Hudl? I like the idea of not having to drastically change head position to see if swing path is following correctly. Thanks for your help. Rick T

By: Tyler F on Aug. 17, 2020, 10:11 a.m.

Where you position the camera can influence certain patterns you might see. If you are trying to assess your face and path, then you'd want to be consistent. Since most videos are close to hand height and parallel to the hand line, I tend to go there. It's the best view for seeing the path check points. But really, since I discuss movements more than positions having the camera perfect isn't as critical. Some people like to "measure" angles from video. In that case, then the camera location is absolutely critical.

For video settings, I like the 240FPS for most analysis.

I like the Live View for visual learners. I've had some good success with it. That said, the mirror vision golf is a little easier to get up and running if you are on IOS. All you need to do is link your iPad to your iPhone. The FPS and picture is better than the Live View.

By: Rick T on Aug. 17, 2020, 7:53 p.m.

Thank you Tyler. At $35/year and better video quality I'll try Mirror Vision.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.