Ball flight question

Ball flight question  

By: Scott Z on July 24, 2022, 8:47 a.m.

Hello, I have always been told that hitting the ball straight is the most difficult way to play, and that I should develop a fade,or draw pattern to really get good at golf. I have also heard that if a Tour Pro hits a straight shot, it was a mistake. Just curious if this is true in your opinion? Also my handicap is in the 5 area, and if I try to play anything other than a straight shot, it usually isn’t a good result LOL. Just kind of wondering if you think a draw, or fade bias is something to work on, or if straight is good, and to use my practice time on something else. For reference, I don’t play in tournaments or have any aspirations to, just enjoy playing golf. Thanks

Re: Ball flight question  

By: Tyler F on July 24, 2022, 1:49 p.m.

Hi Scott,

I think the advent of the ProV made it more possible to play a straight ball flight. The problem with the straight ball flight is usually the dispersion is more of a forked miss pattern. If the path is straight, if the face is open then it curves right, if it's closed then it curves left. So you end up with good shots close and average shots at either end of the pattern. Compared to a pattern that always has some curve, you tend to get some more even distribution. See my rough diagram.

I don't think it has to have a lot of curve, but I do like to know which way the player intends for it to fall. I think hitting big curves is harder to play with modern technology. So hitting it mostly straight is fine, especially if you're just trying to enjoy the game on a more casual level :)

Some golfers have a smaller distribution when they hit it straight, so even if the pattern is mostly to the perimeter of their distribution, it's closer than the average shot if they try and curve it. I'd still with mostly straight and work on other areas.

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.