Analyzing Tour Pro Swings?

Analyzing Tour Pro Swings?  

By: Tyler F on March 24, 2020, 7:22 p.m.

Hey Golfers,

I'm planning on doing a wave of Tour Pro swing analysis. If you're not sure what I mean, check out this playlist https://golfsmartacademy.com/playlist/swing-analysis-videos,6/

I'm hoping to get an updated list. What swings would you like to see analyzed?? Please comment below and I'll do my best to hit them all over the next month!

Thanks for your help,

Tyler

Re: Analyzing Tour Pro Swings?  

By: Mark C on March 24, 2020, 7:36 p.m.

+Tyler F
Hey Tyler, great idea, what about some of the best female golfers?, who hit the ball much better than us average male golfers!
Cheers, Mark

By: Tyler F on March 24, 2020, 7:37 p.m.

+Mark C I'm open to any swings that I can get video on. Which elite female golfers would you like to see?

By: Cameron M on March 24, 2020, 7:38 p.m.

+Tyler F
Jack Nicklaus
Angel Cabrera
Lanny Wadkins

By: Mark C on March 24, 2020, 7:39 p.m.

+Tyler F
I don't have anyone specific, you pick.
On reflection, one golfers swing I always enjoyed watching is Geoff Ogilvy, however his peak was a while ago so not sure what would be available on video. Cheers, Mark

Last edited by: Mark C on March 24, 2020, 8:10 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Thomas K on March 24, 2020, 7:51 p.m.

+Tyler F
Rory and Adam Scott...and if you’re up to it, why Cameron Champ has had several back surgeries and so many problems (like Tiger when he switched to Sean Foley)

By: Ed C on March 24, 2020, 8:48 p.m.

+Tyler F

Great idea for LPGA players!

Maria Fassi (292 yd average driving distance)
Anne Van Damme (287 yd average driving distance)

By: Ed C on March 24, 2020, 9:26 p.m.

+Tyler F

I would be really curious to learn about:

Collin Morikawa: His swing looks so efficient & repeatable to my untrained eye. Top 5 in SG Approach and Eagle rate.

I know you said Tour pro, but if you think it's worth analyzing:

Kyle Berkshire: Fascinating how he rocks his feet back and forth before the takeaway

By: John C on March 24, 2020, 10:32 p.m.

+Tyler F
Jim Furyk is my favorite model For my students but love the aesthetics of Adam Scott. I’ll take either one.

By: Gantry G on March 25, 2020, 2:40 a.m.

+Tyler F

Another vote for Adam Scott as classiest full swing.

I've listened to some people that report what they hear inside the ropes and apparently Sungjae Im is getting a reputation as one of the best ball strikers out there. He's got that very deliberate backswing and I am wondering if there's a connection there?

By: John C on March 25, 2020, 9:02 a.m.

+Cameron M
Lanny was on my list as well. Maybe the best, streakiest, iron player ever. As good as Johnny Miller. He is from Virginia, as is Sam Snead, and Curtis Strange. A pretty good list.

By: Brian B on March 25, 2020, 9:20 a.m.

+Tyler F I would like you to analyze Louis Oosthuizen's swing.
Thanks,
Brian

By: Greg B on March 25, 2020, 9:29 a.m.

+Mark C
Mickey Wright

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:01 p.m.

+Cameron M Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add them to the list.

By: Brian M on March 25, 2020, 2:01 p.m.

+Tyler F

It would be interesting to pick "representative" swings from different generations and discuss the idea of whether fundamental swing styles have changed over time and whether swings have gotten "better", if it's possible to define what better means. It would be fun to start with Bobby Jones, Sarazen, Hagen era, if there is good enough video footage (long, free flowing swings?). Then, possibly, the Byron Nelson, Snead, and Hogan era. Then Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, (and Watson and Miller towards the end) era (does this evolve to the "reverse C" era). Then, move forward to the Nick Faldo, Greg Norman, Langer, Seve' era. Tiger era (weight lifting). And finally, the ground reaction force, "jumping" era we are in now. Obviously, some of these eras overlap and swing styles may have changed in the middle of a particular era. Or maybe, the contention that there were distinct swing styles in different generations is flawed because there are more different swing styles than there are similarities. Either way, it would be fun to see.

Brian M.

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:03 p.m.

+John C Jim Furyk was one of the first ones I did, Check it out here and let me know if you want to discuss something else. https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/swing-analysis-jim-furyk/?list=swing-analysis-videos%2C6

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:06 p.m.

+Gantry G I did an analysis of Adam Scott a while back. Let me know if you want to see another topic on his swing.
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/swing-analysis-adam-scott/?list=swing-analysis-videos%2C6

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:08 p.m.

+Brian B I did one on Louis Oosthuizen a while back, check it out! https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/swing-analysis-louis-oosthuizen/?list=swing-analysis-videos%2C6

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:10 p.m.

+Ed C Colin and Kyle are two good suggestions. Thanks!

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:27 p.m.

+Brian M Interesting idea. I'll have to give that some thought. In my opinion, the swings of the eras had more similarities than differences. And the differences likely had to do with equipment, training practices, and course conditions. But I'll give that one some thought.

By: Lani H on March 25, 2020, 4:43 p.m.

+Tyler F
Hi Tyler! I hope you are continuing to keep sane! I am....mostly. This is a great idea! I vote for Lorena Ochoa or Lydia Ko but really, I am happy to hear your evaluation of anyone's swing. Stay well!
Best
Lani

By: Brian B on March 26, 2020, 6:42 p.m.

+Tyler F
I would like a comparison of South African swings: Els, Goosen, Player, Oosthuizen, Schwartzel

By: Alex F on April 28, 2020, 10:31 a.m.

+Tyler F
How about:
Tyler Ferrell
Mike Malaska
Clay Ballard
George Gankas
Eric Cogorno
Matt Fitzpatrick
Nasa Hataoaka
Jeong Eun Lee 6
Jin Young Ko
HyeJin Choi
Ahn Song Yi
Ann Van Dam
Bryson DeChambeau

By: Tyler F on April 29, 2020, 12:05 p.m.

+Alex F Good suggestions.

Two of them I have already looked at:
I did a review on my swing from the early 2000s, but I could do an updated version. Also, I did an analysis of Bryson a few years ago.

By: Trey B on April 29, 2020, 9:19 p.m.

+Tyler F
Hi Tyler an LPGA pro that I think would be interesting is Lexi Thompson. specifically a comparison of the moves she makes in her iron swing vs. her driver swing.
For PGA pros Ricky Fowler pre Butch Harmon, during Butch years, and now post Butch. His swing seems to have changed quite a bit and it would be interesting to hear your take on why he has made those changes. I'm also throwing a +1 for Charles Howell's swing changes as I'm sure you have some solid insights into what he's worked on. Thanks a bunch.

By: Matt S on March 24, 2020, 7:45 p.m.

Just teach me how to swing like Freddy Couples.

By: Thomas K on March 24, 2020, 7:49 p.m.

+mattstraus1
You really want back problems? More than just about any other pro.

By: Matt S on March 24, 2020, 7:57 p.m.

+Thomas K
I already have them, might as well have the swing to go with it.

By: Matt S on March 24, 2020, 8:16 p.m.

Actually that gets me thinking -- what about a golf swing that would be good to emulate for a golfer with back-pain? maybe someone with a more upright swing?

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:28 p.m.

+mattstraus1 Freddy's a good idea. I can discuss his back pain moves just for you ;)

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:30 p.m.

+mattstraus1It might be better as a video discussion than an analysis of one swing. A lot of guys on tour have some level of back pain at some point in the career that then manages. For example, we know Justin Rose has some major lower back structure issues. But he seems to be able to play a full schedule in spite of it.

By: Nick W on March 24, 2020, 7:53 p.m.

Hey Tyler,
I’d like to see Ernie Els.

Also, I think it would be really interesting to take a look at the most aesthetically pleasing golf swings (Els has it for me, but other guys like Fred Couples seem to rank high on others’ lists) and compare them to the “ugliest” pro swings (Wolf and Furyk come to mind right now). I’d love to hear not only your analysis of these swings in terms of what makes them effective, but also why thy are considered “pretty” vs “ugly.”

For me, that would help me avoid chasing a look I might like, but that ultimately may not lead to a performance benefit.

Nick

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:33 p.m.

+Nick W Ernie Els is a good suggestion, thanks!

As far as your second comment. That's probably too subjective. I think Wolfe and Furyk have beautiful looking swings, so I'd need some criteria for what constitutes ugly.

By: brad on March 24, 2020, 8:08 p.m.

Small stature guys with great balance and good clubhead speed like Rickie Fowler. Not a JT or Rory that looks like they're swinging out of their shoes. Which also takes us to the LPGA where they get they most out of their stature and don't look like they're swinging all that hard.

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:38 p.m.

+brad I did one on Ricky Fowler a ways back, maybe this will answer a question or two https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/swing-analysis-rickie-fowler/?list=swing-analysis-videos%2C6

Looks like a few suggestions for LPGA players have come in. I'm sure I'll get some of those done with this project.

By: Maykel G on March 24, 2020, 8:56 p.m.

Xander
Justin rose
Charles Howell III

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:36 p.m.

+Maykel G Good suggestions, I'll add them to the list!

By: bdavid4 on March 24, 2020, 9:47 p.m.

I would like to see Tommy Armour lll.
Short long distance swing like Tony Finai

Thank you,
Brian-NY

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:36 p.m.

+bdavid4 Tony Finau is a good suggestion. I'll have to see if I can find a good video for Tommy Armour III, he's Mr. Fitness at this point.

By: Howard D on March 25, 2020, 3:47 a.m.

Jason Dufner when he won the PGA. Looks like the T-Rex drill in action.

Last edited by: Howard D on March 25, 2020, 3:53 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:39 p.m.

+Howard D Good suggestion. I'll add him to the list.

By: Hans F on March 25, 2020, 5 a.m.

Would like to hear Your opinion on Gary Player - as I was luky enough to walk with him for 18 holes side a side at PlettenberBay Country Club SouthAfrica. He shot 74 at age 82 on this not easy Course - starting direction dead straight on every shot.

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:34 p.m.

+Hans F Already did one on Gary Player. Let me know if you have something else you'd like me to address in discussing his swing https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/swing-analysis-gary-player-old-and-young/?list=swing-analysis-videos%2C6

By: Scott S on March 25, 2020, 5:18 a.m.

Finau and Schauffele would be great. Tommy Fleetwood has the best swing in my opinion, I believe you did a swing analysis on him, but I’d love to see a swing analysis focusing on his transition move.

Thank you for all you do Tyler, I’ve learned so much watching your videos and using your drills, you’ve absolutely changed my game.

Cheers,

Scott S

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:41 p.m.

+Scott S I'll add those to the list. I don't mind doing another on Tommy and focusing on a different aspect. Transition is a good area to study!

By: Philip M on March 25, 2020, 5:19 a.m.

Patrick Reed
Bernhardt Langer

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:43 p.m.

+Philip M I actually did one on Patrick Reed. It's on youtube, but I never created a site page for it 😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipl-4aEfGiE

By: Gregory K on March 25, 2020, 5:27 a.m.

My interest would be in seeing the backswing and through swing, along with the wrist action, that the top ten short game players of 2018 and 2019 utilize. Shots from within 30 yards of the green would be preferable to me.

Last edited by: Gregory K on March 25, 2020, 5:27 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:47 p.m.

+Gregory K I'll do my best. Often times, short game shots are the hardest to find. but I don't have a pro vs ams finesse wedge video, so there could be an overlap. I'll do my best.

By: John J on March 25, 2020, 5:44 a.m.

Tyler....instead of the Pros, who are great to try and emulate....why not include a single digit, mid and high handicap amature swings? You must have a slew of swings to pick from. Just use a representation from each group. These players are who we really look like...we dont compare to the Pros. Just my thoughts. Thx.

Last edited by: John J on March 25, 2020, 5:44 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 2:52 p.m.

+John J I do have a slew of swings, but I'm not sure I'd want to put their swings out there like that. I'll have to think about it. I could very easily do a discussion of the swing benchmarks I look for at various scoring goals.

By: Nick W on March 25, 2020, 3:04 p.m.

Hey Tyler,
This thread got me thinking about a different way that amateur swings could be interesting.

I think it’d be very interesting to see case studies of tour students and their progression over time. Could even pair it with an interview with the golfer to understand how they practiced and improved.

Nick

By: Rafi K on March 25, 2020, 6:22 a.m.

How about Ben Poland? I love the smooth, simple action.

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 3:02 p.m.

+Rafi K I'll have to look and see if I can find a good video of him. On a quick look, he wasn't too easy to find. If you find some, please share a link here!

By: Rafi K on March 25, 2020, 3:52 p.m.

+Tyler F

Probably because I forgot a letter. It's Polland. Oops!

Here are 2 swings. I find the relatively quite lower body pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YxTX09sKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDvEDGJDu3E

By: Scott M on March 25, 2020, 6:25 a.m.

Big framed, Older guys (40s, early 50s) who maybe dont have as much upper/lower body separation as the young guys on tour but who still hit it well (in relative terms for an older crowd). Darren Clarke, Ernie Els, Angel Cabrera, or others you think fit that mold

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 3:04 p.m.

+Scott M I did this video a while back, does that answer your questions - or do you have a specific question I don't address. https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/analysis-husky-golfers/?list=swing-analysis-videos%2C6

By: Kevin C on March 25, 2020, 6:30 a.m.

I keep going back to this youtube video of Ben Hogan on the range at the 1967 Masters. He's swinging just a little past arm parallel and then transitions to a body driven downswing. I think of this more as a drill than a full swing -- and it's something I try to do after doing 9 to 3 swings. It's kind of a 10 or 10:30 to full finish swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEK3m7JC8Dk&t=33s

By: David H on March 25, 2020, 7:22 a.m.

Tommy Fleetwood

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 3:10 p.m.

+David H I did this one on Tommy Fleetwood a ways back. But there was another suggestion to do an analysis on his transition. Here's the old one. https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/swing-analysis-tommy-fleetwood/?list=swing-analysis-videos%2C6

By: Bob R on March 25, 2020, 8:56 a.m.

Can you take a look at Matt Kuchar's swing......

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 3:13 p.m.

+Bob R I did one on Kuchar a ways back - if you have a specific area you'd like me to focus on. Please let me know...
https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/swing-analysis-matt-kuchar/?list=swing-analysis-videos%2C6

By: Greg B on March 25, 2020, 9:31 a.m.

Trevino

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2020, 3:16 p.m.

+Greg B One of my favorite golfers and swings. If I can find good enough video, I'll definitely do one on him.

By: Ed O on March 25, 2020, 9:58 a.m.

I like looking at unusual swings and try to figure out why they work.

By: Lyle H on March 26, 2020, 6:47 p.m.

Since most of us are a little “thicker” than the average pro, how about some one that shows you can still move the ball out there even if carrying an extra “couple” pounds.

By: Ed C on March 30, 2020, 5:11 p.m.

+Lyle H

John Daly

By: Matt S on March 27, 2020, 9:17 a.m.

Seve would be cool

By: Tyler F on April 1, 2020, 10:33 a.m.

+mattstraus1 I'll see if I can find some good video of him. If you find it yourself, please post a link here!

By: Mark E on March 29, 2020, 3:39 p.m.

Hi Tyler
I would like to see Charles Howell iii especially if you can discuss his swing changes.
He used to raise his left shoulder in transition and drop his right. These are moves I have in my swing I learned from a 90s book by Faldo. Still trying to get rid of the move.
Probably Charles had this influence early in his career also. He now seems to left side bend in transition the last couple of years and his swing seems much better.

Ladies swings I would like to see are Jin Young Ko as she is a machine but seems a bit unorthodox.Seems to be very open with the body at impact but with a flip release.

Also In Gee Chun who is really struggling after playing very well early in her career just a few years ago. She seems to have her left arm pinned across her body a lot and I’d like your thoughts on this as this seems to be a point where different teachers disagree a lot.

Thanks!

Last edited by: Mark E on March 29, 2020, 3:40 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on April 1, 2020, 10:32 a.m.

+Mark E Thanks for the suggestions. I actually reached out to Charles and he sent me a few current swings and gave me full permission to share my experiences with him. I had resisted doing an evaluation on him previously, but he was one of the leading vote getters's here with this poll.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll add them to the list!

By: Nick W on April 1, 2020, 10:39 a.m.

This is awesome! Looking at Charles’ swing and going through the process of what you worked on with him will be so cool. I’m really excited for this.

Nick

By: Phan T on April 12, 2020, 4:09 p.m.

Hi Tyler,

Late to the party, but would love to see an analysis of Scott Stallings’ compact and powerful swing.

Thanks!
Phan

By: Tyler F on April 13, 2020, 4:07 p.m.

+Phan T Yes, I'll add him to the list. Thanks for the suggestion!

By: Guy K on April 29, 2020, 8:41 a.m.

Julian Suri - before and after if you can.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.