Where to start? Help please!

Where to start? Help please!  

By: Paul 85 Y on Dec. 4, 2020, 10:26 a.m.

Hi Tyler
I have joined the site after Martin Hall recommended you on a podcast!
Have watched loads of videos already but thought I should ask for a bit of help with where to start.
The face on and down the line is a seven iron. I have included a driver face on also.
I am aware that my ball position was to far back in the face on, so I've been working on that.
I get long and laid off, early extend which gets worse with the longer clubs.
I get stuck on my right side at the top and have a big leg slide and scoop release.
I am OK with mid irons and can get away with sliding into the driver if I put the ball position right up.
Terrible with short irons and long irons.
Bad contacts are usually toe shots which come out dead and straight right with the irons. Can get away with a weak draw with driver. Any help would be appreciated!! Many thanks, Paul

Last edited by: Paul 85 Y on Dec. 4, 2020, 10:32 a.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Where to start? Help please!  

By: Tyler F on Dec. 5, 2020, 7:42 a.m.

Hi Paul, Welcome to the site. Martin's a great coach, I'm glad that he introduced you to our program :)

As far as your swing, I think there are two complementary pieces to work on. Which one you start with really depends on which feels the most comfortable.

If I'm working backwards from impact, I think the iron consistency can be summed up in the attached screenshot. Watch this video - https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/training-your-low-point-line/ I'd say your impact line isn't as far tilted as a driver, but definitely more so than the short iron.

Then watch this video. https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/anti-overset-hanger/

So, if you can do a 9-3 and get a better impact line, then the bigger issue is how you are creating speed early in the swing. But it if you can't get a good impact line on a 9-3, then I would work on the release first. It'll pay bigger dividends.

PS - Your brain was smart to move the ball position back with that release, it helps contact and limits the face getting too closed, but definitely requires some extra timing.

Keep us posted,

Tyler

By: Paul 85 Y on Dec. 5, 2020, 10:20 a.m.

Thanks Tyler,
I have been working on doing 9-3 drills, and pre setting the ulnar deviation at the end of the backswing but it's so hard for me to blend that wrist release pattern into a 10-2 / full swing release. The way I set my wrists probably has a lot to do with that. The radial overset of the left wrist causes havoc with my sequencing and control of the shaft plane from the top of the swing. When my timings on I can manage it, when it's off the ball can go everywhere.
I will work on the two drills suggested and keep you updated.
👍

Drills video  

By: Paul 85 Y on Dec. 11, 2020, 5:11 a.m.

Hi Tyler
I have blended the two drills you suggested together.
I have attached a video for any feedback.
Thanks, Paul

By: Tyler F on Dec. 13, 2020, 10:08 a.m.

Looking good! It might be a touch upper body dominant, but overall it's looking like some solid positions. Can you work it into bigger swings, or does it only work on 9-3's?

9-3s  

By: Paul 85 Y on Dec. 14, 2020, 11:33 a.m.

Have been working on longer swings but very hit and miss at the moment.
I think that's due to having to work hard to get the club face stronger pre delivery rather than the pull down and scoop to square the club face with the vertical shaft angle that I was doing before. I am having some success with getting an earlier set with a swing gyde then feeling like I close the face and work the swing gyde away from my forearm from the top of the backswing. I have been careful to set it up to not allow for a big over set of the wrist.
As for the upper body dominance any suggestions as to how to work on that without feeling trapped on the way down?

Thanks, Paul

By: Tyler F on Dec. 21, 2020, 8:40 a.m.

I didn't quite follow the initial description. But sounds like you have a bit of a plan.

As far as feeling upper body dominance without getting stuck. Usually feeling stuck comes from early extension (downswing loss of posture). When that happens, the ribs get in the way of the arms. Here's a video I did on that topic https://www.golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/getting-your-arms-vs-your-body-stuck/

Some golfers stand up more when they start working on their lower body moving, so monitor with video or a mirror, to make sure you're not doing that when working on quieting your upper body.

Tyler

By: Paul 85 Y on Dec. 23, 2020, 4:02 a.m.

Thanks Tyler

Yes you are right I have a tendency to get the right arm over flexed and deep behind my body, then pulling down with the arms on the way down rather than out in front on the way down. Then standing up to shallow the delivery.

Since I've been using the site my early extension is getting much better in practice but the club tends to tip out in front of the hands in delivery position.

Still trying to get it lagging behind the hands through delivery.

Hope you don't mind all the videos but as they say a picture paints a thousand words.

By: Tyler F on Dec. 31, 2020, 2:53 p.m.

Hi Paul,

I don't mind the videos. In fact, they help a ton! Like you said, they are worth AT LEAST a thousand words

I'd watch this early downswing phase, that's where it looks like that trail elbow gets a bit behind you. Also, you want to be careful with the swing guide, retaining the radial deviation too late in the downswing can cause a need for more arm throw. The "lag" move in the downswing should come more from trail wrist extension rather than radial deviation. I hope that helps give you some ideas to prioritize!

Best in 2021,

Tyler

Click here to start your free 3 day trial. No credit card required.