Too low and left with knee buckle?

Too low and left with knee buckle?  

By: Mike M on Feb. 8, 2021, 9:40 p.m.

I used your recent video on presetting impact to finally develop a feel for the proper side bend through impact. Now I’m rotated and feel good about the position. However the follow through looks and feels a bit flippy. The club exits very low and left coming out just above my right hip from down the line. And the face on my left arm and wrist don’t look/feel stable and I noticed a little knee buckle. Thoughts?

The forum is good but I miss the old days where we could buy swing reviews. Ever consider bringing that back?

Re: Too low and left with knee buckle?  

By: Mike M on Feb. 9, 2021, 4:17 p.m.

Here’s a photo of what I mean low and left exit

By: Tyler F on Feb. 12, 2021, 11:15 a.m.

That low left exit can come from either:
Too much forward flexion (not you)
Too much lead arm internal rotation (possibly - worth exploring)
Too much trail wrist flexion instead of pronation (probably part of your issue)
Too little ulnar deviation (probably part of your issue - see impact image from DTL)

When the shoulders/arms are too active, the buckle is a likely compensation. I'd work on that follow through position and connected the presetting spine rotation to a good follow-through feel.

As far as the submissions, I'm working on some projects right now that take too much time. But I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

By: Mike M on Feb. 20, 2021, 10:41 a.m.

Thanks Tyler! I’ve been working on ulnar deviation but I can’t tell from that photo what looks off related to ulnar deviation. The club appears inline with the forearm which I thought was the check point for ulnar. Can you help me with a visual reference to monitor so I can track progress?

By: Tyler F on Feb. 22, 2021, 7:49 p.m.

Here's an image taken from a program I'm working on for helping you guys analyze your own swing. And I added a version of your picture with some lines. Notice in my image, you can see some of my left arm and the right forearm is more in line with the shaft. That's a sign of unhinging and it tends to result in less pulls as well as less diggy ground contact.

Does that help?

Tyler

By: Mike M on Feb. 23, 2021, 11:43 a.m.

Perfect! Thank you!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.